Last week I failed my polygraph test

Last week I failed my polygraph test and I know in my heart it was because I was worried about the test. I don't have anything to hide, I just got caught up because it was my first one and I was nervous. But my biggest concern after failing this polygraph is my future in law enforcement completely over? I would like to get some input or maybe some ways to handle future polygraph tests. Thanks.

Kootzg

Did you ask the examiner what part caused you to fail? Failing a polygraph does not necessarily ban or forbid a person for life from re-applying or applying at a police department.

tbrannon44

I have heard pleny of times someone failing their first poly test, they take it again they pass and get hired. Just remember to stay calm, be honest with all the questions and you'll pass.

Profit5500

The best thing to do is breath and stay calm before taking the test. If you have the opportunity to talk to the examiner then do it. Getting nervous before taking the test is never a good idea so just try to relax.

wulfman

People can cheat the polygraph just by staying calm and honest people like yourself can be screwed over just by having anxiety about it. I personally don't like polygraphs and they really don't have huge impacts in court rooms . This one was for a job though so just relax and answer truthfully.

Ricardo187

As long as you don't hide anything, you have no reason to be worried and so you'll pass. Think exactly like that, and of-course, answer the truth!!! Good luck with the next test, man. :)

Gelsemium

Yeah, the police officers that are making those tests have wide experience with them, so if you were saying the truth they will know even though you failed the test, try to relax next time, nothing to hide right?

askanison

Rest well the night before you retake the test, worrying about and not getting sleep will just elevate your anxiety. You can always look up pointers for polygraphs online. From what i understand they are pretty easy to fool. That is why they aren't admissible in court. It's really junk science.

Profit5500

Last week I failed my polygraph test and I know in my heart it was because I was worried about the test. I don't have anything to hide, I just got caught up because it was my first one and I was nervous. But my biggest concern after failing this polygraph is my future in law enforcement completely over? I would like to get some input or maybe some ways to handle future polygraph tests. Thanks.

Hey smith did you go back and take the polygraph test again? If you did how did you do this time?

Doulachic79

Examiners are well experienced and know that a person's temperament will affect the results. Therefore they do a baseline and if you are nervous, then that is your baseline, if you veer even more nervous than your baseline, that is what causes the results to change. Trust me, it's a combination of the machine as well as the examiner's observation.

Peninha

I agree, it's just a test, if you were telling the truth you'll have no problems. Is this an eliminator test?

PhilA

As far as I know polygraphs are still not admissible in count in a lot of countries. There has always been some dispute over their accuracy. Only you know if you are telling the truth, try not to worry about it.

cpefley

I would get as much info about what part made you fail as you can, and figure it out from there. You can explain that you were nervous about the test, and maybe you can retake it?

Profit5500

I would get as much info about what part made you fail as you can, and figure it out from there. You can explain that you were nervous about the test, and maybe you can retake it?
That is the best thing smith can do to beat the test next time. Being less nervous and being calm and collective is what is suggested so the test would go smoothly.

Whitewolf2578

Yeah I believe the key is to just stay come and take long and deep breaths. I never applied to become an officer because I never wanted to do this stage, I don't have anything to hide but I just never liked the scenario of taking one. They can't just see you don't have a criminal record and hire you apparently. Not really sure what kind of questions they use these days.