Legalize Prostitution?

dyanmarie25

No way. I will never be in favor of legalizing prostitution. It's against my moral values and beliefs. I think women need to be empowered, and selling their bodies to someone is never empowering, rather, it's degrading. That's why there is inequality in the world, because most men think that women are just good in bed, and will never achieve anything which is a huge misconception.

Rainman

I'm neither against nor for the legalization of prostitution. People should have the right to do whatever they please with their bodies. Actually I have no idea why it [prostitution] is illegal considering the U.S no longer is a "Christian" nation. Since everything is being legalized left and right, the prostitutes ought to come out and also demand for their "rights."

Gabe

This would be bad in so many ways, because these gangs who do force women into prostitution could not be convicted of anything except kidnapping. You need to look at the bigger picture. If it was legal then you could put it on your resume and tax form, people would judge you and then hold it against you. It would become a legal document so if you chose that life and left it, others could find out easily. Consider men will begin to treat women badly because they are paying for sex. That are enough idiots out there who rape, so making it legal can only make these people think they are 'stealing' or getting a freebie. Unfortunately you have to consider the depraved mind.

Let's put it this way, I used to be in a circle of 'it' girls and men gave gifts for service rendered and they would then sell the dress or designer bag for money. That has been going on for years and is a kind of prostitution.

bala

I am for it.At least these sex workers don't have to live a life as a shadow.I really want this pimp system banished.We from the rotaract club of port city are actually working on a project to help educate them in whatever field they choose.Something that can get them out of the flesh trade if possible.

Gelsemium

I don't know, it doesn't seem right for the governments to be collecting money when people are selling their bodies, or would it be a tax free activity?

mrsbright

I am for it. I think in Germany, it is also legal -- you need to get a permit of some sort, and there is a psychological evaluation to be done before a woman is allowed to choose this job for herself. I think legalizing this way is ideal -- you take the power away from criminal bands and pimps, allowing women to make money for themselves without owing it to a dangerous boss. You also allow them to get good healthcare and more chances. Also, regular testing for STIs.

In society where it's illegal, we all know it still happens -- but then the prostitutes don't have a chance, the criminal people abuse them and the system will punish them instead of helping them. It also makes biases harder and can lead to a lot of violence and discrimination. A documentary I saw, the prostitutes explained how cops treated them like trash and sometimes assaulted and raped them because they considered these women scums and criminals anyway. All of this has got to stop.

dez97

I guess it really does come down to a moral issue. Although everyone makes a good point on why it would be good, and also why it would be bad....I'm still just very neutral. Both sides look equally enticing.

jeremy2

I also believe this could be a win win situation for both parties involved if this industry could be legalized. It's no secret that this business continues to operate unabated in most towns and the Government should move with speed to regulate this industry. The effect of this would be unprecedented and both parties would come out as winners.

jperd21

I believe it's everyone's personal choice. I understand the government has a hard time making any money in the sex business, and that's part of the reason it's illegal. I know in at least one country the government provides disabled individuals an annual stipend to buy sexual services.

Profit5500

I see this as a moral issue, is it ok to pay for sex? Legalizing prostitution would be to agree on this, and the state would become the pimp?
It would be better than seeing the poor girls getting shot to death by pimps. I do believe people would challenge this idea, but I would ask them is it better for the prostitutes to be hooked on drugs and abused by ugly men who threaten them with death? Is it better for the women to be in a facility where they would have their own income and be able to spend the money on things that they want? Aside from that the women would be able to be clean from STD's since they would have condoms and have safer sex then out on the streets.