Local crime rates

DancingLady

Do you feel the crime rate in your area is going up, down, or staying about the same?

It it is changing, is this due to increased or decreased police presence or other factors?

thegrey1

I live in a medium sized town, and the crime rate has increased dramatically in the last few years. The problem we have is the massive influx of illegals. Honestly, every third person is of Hispanic descent. Most of them barely speak English, if at all. The crimes that have risen the most are property damage, robberies, drug dealing, drunken driving offenses and domestic violence cases. We have plenty of cops in our town, and the sirens can be heard all night long. It's not a pleasant place to live anymore!

DancingLady

That's really too bad. I work with several Hispanic people who are good workers and legal residents. It's so unfortunate how responsible people like my coworkers get treated a certain way by some people because of the crimes illegal immigrants have done.

thegrey1

I agree with you. I try to treat all people the same. In our town, we don't see too many legal immigrants, so it's hard not to become embittered by the situation. They wear T-shirts that say, "You can't deport all of us!" It's a frustrating dilemma for the police and the citizens.

Rainman

I live in a small town. More than half of the people here are senior citizens. That's probably the reason why the crime rates here are quite low. Only occasionally do we hear of crimes being committed but catching the criminals is also easy because there aren't too many hiding places. You commit a crime, you either get arrested or leave town for good.

lushlala

Obviously, the situation in America is a lot worse than in Botswana, especially given the sheer size of America's population to Botswana's 1.8 million. But just for the sake of argument, say about 5 years ago, Botswana was considered one of the safest countries in the whole world. Not any more! We have also seen an influx of people from neighbouring countries whose economic situation has deteriorated beyond measure. Like in America, some are legal while others aren't. Ever since their arrival, the crime levels have shot up significantly. I must point point out, not all crimes committed are down to the illegals, the nationals have also started to join in. I hate to say it, but it's definitely become worse since we've had an influx of people from neighbouring countries. BUT like most people, I have nothing against people who come here to work hard and legally, to improve their life situations.

dyanmarie25

Here in our city, there were a lot of shootings involving normal citizens that happened before, but thankfully, it has now dropped down. I don't know if it has something to do with how the police officers work nowadays though.