Man charged with DUI on shopping cart

Muthoni

This is adequate proof that abuse of alcohol can interfere with the thinking capacity of anyone. Why is it that when people abuse alcohol, they feel the need to get into motion? There are so many cases of people who drink and get into an automotive for whatever reason. I hope that this incidence helps him remain sober while behind a wheel.

Determined2014

That is weird! but it is the right thing the policemen had to do it, I guess alcohol affects people in different ways, but this guy must have extensively drunk,for even a shopping cart to prove difficult for him to operate it.

Patrick

While not technically a vehicle, a drunk person could still potentially injure others owing to poor control of his motorized cart. I think the police made the right call to subdue him as a precautionary measure.

Strykstar

While it is a pretty strange arrest, I'm sure it was in part due to him have plenty of prior convictions.
I think they made the right decision in any case, he was being a danger to his fellow citizens.

JoshPosh

Banned
Shouldn't the charge be public intoxication? Although not a traditional mode of transportation, I guess it is moving him from one place to another.

askanison

Yeah I think the guy has a good chance of arguing this down to public drunk rather than a DUI. It sounds ridiculous to even try and charge him for it. Although didn't the singer George Jones once get arrested while drunk and driving his riding lawn mower to the store for some beer? It was a running joke if I remember correctly in a few of his songs and videos way back in the day.

dolittle94

Okay, this is just ridiculous. The shoplifting that he was charged for makes sense, but also being charged with a DUI for 'driving' shopping cart under the influence is just bizarre. So, if someone were to be drunk while rolling around on a bike, skateboard, or rollerblades are we going to start charging them with DUIs as well? If that's the case, then I'm just glad that I don't drink. Then again, maybe this is just an Alaskan law or something; it doesn't make it any less crazy, but it would certainly be better than it being state-wide.

mimsee

If he was being a danger to other people, it's 100% fair that he was arrested, no matter what he was doing. Moral of the story is don't go shopping, or even out in public while you're drunk! It's obnoxious and in my opinion just a legal form of drugs!

DancingLady

I did not realize that a shopping cart was a vehicle for which one could get a DUI, or would need a license to drive in the first place. That's kind of amusing in a sad way though. Obviously this man has a problem and hopefully he will now realize he needs to make some changes in his life.

btatro

Really? Haha I suppose. It was not so long ago that I learned you could receive a DUI riding a bike, so I guess a shopping cart is not so far off. Maybe?

Profit5500

How can you get charged for DUI while using a shopping cart? I mean you have to be drunk while using a shopping cart that just defeats the purpose of shopping in general. This was a waste of time.

sillylucy

Is that even legal to get a DUI on a shopping cart? It's not a vehicle! Couldn't he get slammed with public intoxication? Isn't a DUI worse than just public intoxication? That's a little annoying.

stevesxs9

I guess if it has a steering wheel,then he's driving it. Sounds like this guy was set on breaking the law no matter what. If not the drunken driving, it would have been shoplifting and refusing to take an official sobriety test.

Rhoda D'Ettore

This reminds me of when I did a genealogy search. I found one of my ancestors received a ticket for drunk driving of a horse and carriage. I cannot even imagine how some officers contain themselves when dealing with some idiots. Unfortunately when it comes to drunks, they not only have no caution for others, but they have no regard for themselves either.

LuckyGirl08

When I read the story, I could not help but laugh. I think that Alaska is the only place that would give someone a DUI for driving a shopping cart. Seriously, it's not like he in a vehicle and swerving on the highway. I think that being charged with DUI was outrageous. The charge should have been public intoxication.

jgon3491

I agree with the others, this is a pretty strange arrest but he was publicly intoxicated, so there's that. Wonder where he was headed to.

Gin0710

I couldn't stop laughing when I read this headline. That's just crazy and kind of funny. It's amazing what people can do these days to entertain themselves or just get by.

LongShot

This guy must have been really wasted if he thought it was a good idea to do this. This just proves that the biggest threat to most people is actually Alcohol and smoking. Here's hoping the guy at a good time while it lasted.