Mark Twain grave plaque

tanker

I did not know it was stolen but good news for people who are a fan of Mark Twain.

attachment.php

The Mark Twain plaque stolen from a monument at Elmira's Woodlawn Cemetery was recovered Saturday in good condition, Elmira police said.

No arrests were reported and police released no details on how it was recovered.
In a statement emailed to media, police said: "The Elmira Police Department would like to express our sincere appreciation to members of the community who assisted in the investigation and recovery of such an important part of Elmira's history."
Police said they will provide details and any information on arrests when they become available. A person answering the telephone at the Elmira Police Department on Saturday afternoon said no one authorized to speak would be available until Monday.
The plaque was reported stolen on Jan. 2.

Attachments

• B9316166092Z.1_20150207135506_000_G5S9T36F0.1-0.jpg
    B9316166092Z.1_20150207135506_000_G5S9T36F0.1-0.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 75

missbishi

I can't understand why people bother to steal things like this. They cannot be sold on or displayed without risking detection so there's really no point in stealing them at all. It's great to see that this plaque has been recovered though. As the man himself once wrote,
You ought never to take anything that don't belong to you--if you cannot carry it off.

Patrick

I think that people who steal such items do so because of the prestige and uniqueness of the item. Overly rich people will waste their money on anything, there is a thriving underground economy for such goods, just like stolen paintings.

Glad to see that it has been recovered.

Gelsemium

I am glad to see it recovered too, I think it's an historical peace and it would be a shame if it had been lost. Selling this would be something really hard to do...

donnalynn47

Probably just some dare from one teen to another to steal it. I'm glad that is was recovered, and for stealing it in the first place shameful.