Rainman

I don't think there's an anti-cop bias. The media simply reports what happened. They try to be objective, not favoring anyone or deliberately making cops look bad. The fact is that within the police force there are some bad apples. Exposing them is the right thing to do and the media does exactly that. Ignoring bad cops and bad calls they make would mean that they will make that a habit and others would probably follow in their footsteps.
Is media anti-cop bias to blame for the recent string of anti-cop reports, or is there some deeper cause?
The media simply brought everything bad into sharp focus. And now those who feel they've been wronged by cops see that as a cue to come forward and tell their story. In time the media will lose interest in the police though.

JoshPosh

Banned
The media likes to stir up the pot. They will post fear and paranoia into the populous. Where I'm from, everyone thinks cops are shady.

helaofthenorns

Ahh I studied journalism when I was in college. Let me tell you that the for the media: When the dog bites a man, that is not news. When a man bites a dog, that is news. To put it simply, the media likes reporting about things that do not happen every day. Thus, they would always focus on the misdemeanors of the police and others because those are more interesting than the various good things happening around us.

Peninha

The media always have great influence on the public opinion, the question is, who is behind the media and what are their agendas?

Rainman

Thus, they would always focus on the misdemeanors of the police and others because those are more interesting than the various good things happening around us.
But since those things happen, reporting them doesn't necessarily prove that the media is biased. When police do heroic things like arrest a serial killer, you'll see them on the news and most people will see them as heroes. When some police officers do bad things, it's just fair that the media also tell us about them too.

januz101

The media likes to report things from their own perspective and not as a whole. You only get to see a portion of the picture. News is only interesting if it is delivered with a twist and not just your average daily update. But I still like to think that it is only an isolated case. The media should always portray the two sides of the coin and not just their own.

js85

I think media is to blame for shoving it in our faces so often and so repetitively that it gives us a false sense of anxiety. It either makes us feel helpless, or that we should become powerful. I also think the state of political correctness is getting out of hand and pushing us to where everyone feels that everyone is a special snowflake - not just deserving of equal treatment but preferential treatment. Therefore, everything is an uprising or social activism, and it's the "cool" thing to rebel or make a stand, even if it's a false one.

januz101

Real news should be about the true story of events that took place. I think the media should be unbiased and not partial to what it says to the populace.

milyjohnson

I think the media does tend to make things worse. That may not be the intention, but that's what ends up happening. A lot of people will be influenced by the media to think a certain way about the police. They are right about some of the dirty cops, but it can make good cops look bad.

Riggy

The media has a huge bias towards cops. It's very rare you'll hear a negative story about them but I personally believe they are given money by the government in order for the news and publication of news against cops to be a very minimal.

Rahstyles

The media have their own agenda and mostly they stick to regardless of whether they are publishing the true facts or not.

Scandal is their main theme so if an officer is seen to be doing the wrong thing they will usually publish it, not so much if he or she does the right thing.

headmaster

I do not blame cops at all for the problems the media 'portrays' about them. How do you give somebody power over the masses with a pittance as pay, and expect that there will not be injustices incurred? The problem starts at the top, just like the French Revolution was inspired by.

DancingLady

I don't know if the media is that biased in the case of cops, personally. I have felt like there is a lack of accountablity with regard to police use of force. When I was living with my parents and had TV several years ago I remember a number of local cases of police using force that led to serious injury and a couple of cases of police shooting someone that seemed very, very questionable. In all those cases that I can remember the cop was not charged with anything, even though there was good reason to believe what happened was very wrong. I think that is the deeper problem, that they seem to usually get away with whatever they did, even if it wasn't justified.

joshua minaya

Personally in my own humble opinion i will not really say the media is to blame all that much because when we look at the situation very critically we can see that the cops equally have their own fare share of blame on the matter