Men in Suits Rob Manhattan Watch Store, Police Say

Rainman

Few people expect that someone in a snappy suit could be a thief. But some thieves are smart, right?

Suit-wearing robbers, smashed a display case in an NY watch store, and took the items that had been on display.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/13/n...rneau-watch-store-robbed-police-say.html?_r=0

Then they fled east toward Park Avenue, the police said. An hour after the crime, a police spokesman said that investigators were still canvassing the area and that the search had expanded to nearby precincts. One suspect has been taken into custody, the spokesman said.

Wolves in sheep skins . . .

Gabe

Many a movie has been made with people casing joints and dressed up to look the part in certain shops. That's why people shouldn't judge by looks alone as I remember Robbie Williams went into a well known designer store in his ripped jeans and t-shirt and they wouldn't serve him and other celebrities have done the same.

I'm surprised the store didn't have security and then 3-4 men walking in together is unusual for shopping as most men shop in pairs, unless they are with their body guards. I would have been suspicious.

lushlala

Gabe is right, looks can be deceiving and not all that glitters is gold! Cliched but true. You can't tell what a rapist, a murderer or paedophile looks like. They come in all shapes and sizes. I'm just glad that nobody was hurt, or worse still, killed in the whole thing!

calicer1996

Not just movies, various games based on infiltration like the Hitman Series involves disguising oneself as someone else. That's where these thieves get all these ideas.

katherine25

You never know what a stranger is capable of. Ive learned that you can never judge by how someone looks. I dont think its unusual for 3-4 men to be shopping together but it might be a little suspicious since it was a watch store, you don't see men shop for jewellery or watches together very often.

dyanmarie25

Gabe is right, looks can be deceiving and not all that glitters is gold! Cliched but true. You can't tell what a rapist, a murderer or paedophile looks like. They come in all shapes and sizes. I'm just glad that nobody was hurt, or worse still, killed in the whole thing!

That's really true. Just because someone looks decent doesn't mean he/she already has good intentions. I have also been a victim of this thing, and I have now learned about not trusting anyone easily.

LongShot

Here comes the men in black.

Sorry I just had to say it. This story is a prime example that you just have to be aware of anybody. The sad thing is we live in a society where we have to be paranoid in order to be more secure.

Patrick

There's so many heist films where the robbers and thieves are dressed exorbitantly well. I'd say that there's not much reason why this wouldn't translate into real life.