Missouri Gunman Kills 7 Then Turns Gun On Himself

Rainman

Upon finding out that his ailing mother was dead, the 36 year old gunmaan came unhinged. Grabbing a gun, he went from house to house shooting everyone.

A small Missouri town's discovery that a gunman killed seven people and injured another Thursday night began when a girl managed to flee a residence where she heard gunfire.
Seven people, all gunshot victims, were found dead in four residences in the small town of 50 people. One person managed to survive, and she was found wounded in one of the homes.

Police: Missouri gunman kills 7 in town of 50 then himself; was cousin to 2 slain couples - CNN.com

The deaths including those [two] who died of natural causes went up to nine, thinning the population of the small town to 41.

Gabe

I wonder when the gun laws will change in the US. There seem to be very unstable people who are able to own guns and ones who are irresponsible. How many of these deaths could have been prevented. I am astonished at how many people choose to have guns, but it should be to defend and not to attack. Maybe all gun owners need psych tests?

Thricehemz

It's a sad situation when one loses a loved one. Some people deal with situations like these in different ways. However i wonder what are the procedures for obtaining a gun not disregarding the fact that man can have a gun without it being licensed. No one can truly tell what a man's actions will be until he acts. In anger most would say he deserves the death penalty and all wherein we would see it as an "eye for an eye." In fact most would say he is weak or selfish because he killed others which deprives each of the victims family of a love one...then he turns the gun on himself which clearly shows he does not value life itself.

stevesxs9

I agree with the fact that a lot of irresponsible people have access to guns and cause devastation like this. But how can you legislate what's inside a person. All the screening in the world won't guarantee that people won't snap under certain conditions after they've purchased a gun. People beat the system each and every day, and the fact that there are so many illegal firearms, make the problem multiply that much more. I would like to see some kind of change, but I don't have an answer on what it could be.

missbishi

I agree with the fact that a lot of irresponsible people have access to guns and cause devastation like this. But how can you legislate what's inside a person. All the screening in the world won't guarantee that people won't snap under certain conditions after they've purchased a gun.

Exactly. This incident seems to be a reaction to the gunman's mother's death. He could have been in perfect mental health at the time of purchase and either snapped at the point of her death or was slowly driven crazy by her illness perhaps.