Mom asks police to arrest her 10-year-old to scare him straight

Rainman

A 10 year old boy who'd been acting up in school and no longer listened to whatever his mother, forced her to call LEO's to help her. The mother thought that the boy's attitude and disregard for authority would probably get him in trouble in future or possibly, get him killed. For that reason, she called cops to arrest her son so he'd know what it felt like to be on the wrong side of the law.

Mom asks police to arrest her 10-year-old to scare him straight | WREG.com
Hill says when cops arrived they talked to her about what the arrest simulation would be like, making sure she was okay with everything.

Then they entered the house, talked to Sean about his behavior, put cuffs on him, and then sat him in the back of a squad car for about five minutes.

I wonder if this is the way to raise kids these days. Call the cops to help you with parenting?

Josie

Kids don't disrespect their parents out of nowhere.. it's learned behaviour. It starts with the parenting.. the overall relationship with the child. I am not surprised at all by a lot of the behaviour I see once I have a glimpse at the relationship and how the parent guides (or not, which is mostly the case) their child. It's all about authority and putting kids in their place. Yuck. The more a child is treated like property in general, the more they will act out and disrespect their parents.. because they aren't worthy of respect and the child knows it. Being an adult, does not automatically make you worthy of respect.. you are the one who needs to earn it before you expect it from your child.

Long story short.. no, I don't agree with this. But that's my life. For a child that has learned to disrespect their parents and are rebelling dangerously, it might just be the wake up call they need. But the parent should probably get one too. If you don't parent respectfully, these things can happen.

Patrick

I think I could agree with this for a young adult, say around 16? Children at the age of 10 should still be impressionable and can be controlled by their parents. I would think that the mother needs to be more strict with the child.

thegrey1

I had a bad reaction to this instantly, thinking the same thing the other posters have expressed. But after thinking about it a little more, I wonder if this child is a sociopath. I realize we don't have all the personal family information, and when children that young are rebellious, I always want to think it's the parents' fault, but this mother seems to care about her son's behavior. If he is not sociopathic, this might really help him. In any case, she's his mother, and you can't argue with her logic: "It’s hard for a black male now,†says Hill, “And I just want him to grow up to be successful and to be respectful.†[h=3]Photo Gallery[/h] View Gallery (4 images)

Trademark and Copyright 2015 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Filed in: News
by Taboola
Promoted Links

YOU MAY LIKE

15 Unique Sets of Twins Who Defied the OddsAnswers

Don't Buy Any of These 15 Cars!FORBES

Overcoming Psoriasis: The Turning Point For Three Inspiring PeopleHealthCentral.com

by Taboola

MORE FROM US
The Memphis Police Department may have a job for you!
Viral video adds fuel to body camera debate
Vincent Hunter of Whitehaven High School named Tennessee Lottery Educator of the Week
After officer is cleared in New Year's crash, pedestrians' attorney tells their side of the story
Ole Miss campus police investigate sexual assault at frat house

by Taboola
Promoted Links

YOU MAY LIKE

15 Unique Sets of Twins Who Defied the OddsAnswers

Don't Buy Any of These 15 Cars!FORBES

[h=3]Be Our Guest for great deals[/h] Half off or more from local restaurants, services, and other businesses

What do you think?
In your opinion, which is a bigger issue?

Driving under the influence of drugs/alcohol

Texting while driving

dyanmarie25

I am not really sure if I like this idea or not. I think calling the cops would not help you raise a troubled kid; the kid could have suffered from trauma or something like that. He could even be bullied at school because of that arrest. He could even lose his friends.

lushlala

I'm not sure what to make of this. On the one hand, I think it's a good tactic that may shock the lad into behaving. On the other, I do wonder if he may just see it as a badge of honour, something to brag to his friends about. I don't know, I can't call it.

I agree sometimes ill behaved children are the product of their environment and often it's the case of bad parenting. BUT it's not always the case. You get some children who come from caring and loving families, who don't want for anything, yet they go off the rails and rebel. I know because i've seen it. Not all naughty children, murderers, rapists, paedophiles are a result of bad parenting! It can be very mind boggling to fathom out why they have turned out the way they have, which sometimes but not always can be attributed to peer pressure and the company they keep.

Gabe

One of the issues this raises is that the parents were not or have not been around to guide the child and they have discovered it was too late to do anything. Maybe it's how society has developed with parents working or children being influenced by their peers or the media. The police should not be used as a deterrent and a parent needs to take responsibility and do something and control their offspring.

It looks like a quick fix to make up for failing to see what the child had been up to. They need to instill morals and values from an early age.

missbishi

Maybe she was just at the end of her tether with the boy? We certainly shouldn't be so quick to judge her, we haven't a clue what her circumstances are like. Chances are, she's a single mom who has to work her a** off to pay the rent and put food on the table. There is, of course, every possibility that there may be psychological issues here too.

JoanMcWench

You may not agree with what she did but you have to give her credit for doing something. I watch mother's deal with their disrespectful terrible children in ways that blow my mind. Allowing them to do things that will only worsen with time. I applaud her for doing something. That's more than a lot of other people.

GFgwen#05

I've read most of everyone's comments on this disturbing situation. But I must add that we as parents and guardians must start disciplining and correcting our kids bad behavior while they are still young. However, many parents and many adults find some very young children's bad behavior cute. But really this is the start when, instead of the oh isn't he cute, these kids rude and bad behavior need to be nipped in the bud, immediately. Many parents are instead trying to be their children's best friend, but while they are still young, they need constant guidance and nurturing.

mrsbright

That's just wrong. If you don't know how to raise your kid yourself, fine, ask for help -- but come on, do NOT ask policemen for this crap! There are real crimes out there, and taxpaid policers should be dealing with that, not with a misbehaving 10 yo!

Josie

I'm not sure what to make of this. On the one hand, I think it's a good tactic that may shock the lad into behaving. On the other, I do wonder if he may just see it as a badge of honour, something to brag to his friends about. I don't know, I can't call it.

I agree sometimes ill behaved children are the product of their environment and often it's the case of bad parenting. BUT it's not always the case. You get some children who come from caring and loving families, who don't want for anything, yet they go off the rails and rebel. I know because i've seen it. Not all naughty children, murderers, rapists, paedophiles are a result of bad parenting! It can be very mind boggling to fathom out why they have turned out the way they have, which sometimes but not always can be attributed to peer pressure and the company they keep.

If you dig, you'll almost always find something the child is lacking at home. Yes, not always.. but wanting for nothing is not parenting. Coddling is not parenting. Hitting is not parenting. Neglect, abuse, disconnect, spoiling, being a door mat.. there's always something and acting out is a lack at home in almost all cases. A child that feels respected and taken seriously, is less likely to give into the peer pressures etc. Again, I'm not saying 100% of the time, but most definitely the majority can be tracked back to the home. But you're right.. pressure from peers is hugely convincing and many kids will go against their better judgement to fit in.

GFgwen#05

Wow! Wonderful comments that makes one ponder, why are our kids acting out? And it is so true in both these comments. You're right, it is either something the child is lacking at home or just peer pressure. However, someone in this thread just stated that if the child is taught at an early age to believe in themselves then chances are they will carry this and other positive lessons with them through life. But then we have the parents that wants everybody else to raise their kids. And that's a tragedy.