Mom, Friend Both Plead Guilty To Getting Baby Drunk

Anthony

Super Moderator
attachment.php

A 17-year-old mother and friend who were arrested and charged with felony child endangerment after a toddler suffered acute alcohol poisoning have pleaded guilty.

The incident happened on February 8, 2014 at an apartment located in the 7200 block of TC Jester, Houston, Texas. The child’s paternal grandmother said Shadreon Jefferson and her friend Shamara Batiste dropped the baby off at her apartment. The grandmother called 911 after noticing that the child could not stand and began to vomit.

The baby was transported to the hospital and found to have a blood alcohol content of 0.268, more than three times the legal limit for adults.

According to police, Batiste confessed that she and her friend gave the toddler some their alcoholic drink, vodka with a mixer. She estimated to the police officer that the baby consumed about six shots of vodka before going to sleep.

According to officials, the two women avoided jail. Jefferson pleaded guilty and was sentenced Monday to three years deferred adjudication. Batiste also pleaded guilty and was sentenced to two years of probation.

Authorities say the toddler is now staying with her maternal grandmother.

Attachments

• JeffersonBatiste.jpg
    JeffersonBatiste.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,316
Last edited by a moderator:

pattycake

I'm so glad that the baby is okay and will now be in the grandma's custody. These kids don't know anything about life, so it's best that the baby be with somebody whose nurturing and responsible.

Gelsemium

Agreed patty, this is pure ignorance, they could have gotten the baby killed, she's definitely not ready to motherhood.

warmweatherwoman

They should of been given jail time! Who in their right mind gives a child vodka? There is no excuse for their behavior and for putting the child in danger that could of easily been avoided by NOT giving the child alcohol to consume!

pattycake

I agree warmweatherwoman, that there's no excuse for such behavior, but it's kids who had a child. A baby having a baby. They're in 3 years detention. Hopefully, in three years they will be more mature.

hayrake

Six shots of vodka? It's a darned miracle that baby is alive. I in no way advocate abortion, but I do think putting a child up for adoption is a great choice when a mother is too young to raise a child. Problem is they're not usually mature enough to make a great choice.

Allison2021

Those young women showed no compassion towards the welfare of that baby. Those young women should be made to serve thousands of hours in community service. They should be made to serve that community service time caring for children.

SamClemensMT

I guess they thought it was funny. Until the poor baby showed signs of being sick. This is why we need parenting licenses, before we allow people to be responsible for children. Until then don't be shocked by stories like these.

Onionman

Wow - that's just scary! Some people clearly shouldn't be mothers, but at 17 years old she's virtually a kid as well. What was going through the mother's mind is beyond me. The kid needs to stay with the grandparents from now on.

SF13

Seriously... six shots of vodka! That could put some grown men on their butts, but a baby? That child is lucky to have survived at all. I hope there is no permanent damage.

That mother needs to not be a mother.

pattycake

Those young women showed no compassion towards the welfare of that baby. Those young women should be made to serve thousands of hours in community service. They should be made to serve that community service time caring for children.

They are not women. They're girls. Children. Those girls need help to become women. They role models and proper guidance. Community service may help, but they need guidance with it too.

Gelsemium

They must have drink their share of it before as well and thought it would be funny, how unconscious they were.