Mother suspected of killing daughter is arrested

Anthony

Super Moderator
smitharrested.jpg
Police in Oregon arrested Jessica Smith, 40, near Cannon Beach on Sunday on suspicion of aggravated murder of her 2-year-old daughter and attempted murder of her 13-year-old daughter.
Police found both girls Friday morning at Cannon Beach Inn. Smith's two-year-old daughter, Isabella, was found dead Friday morning by a housekeeper at the resort. Isabella's thirteen-year-old sister,
Alana, was also found in the hotel room and had suffered "critical cuts." She is being treated at a Portland hospital.
An autopsy on 2-year-old Isabella Smith was unable to conclude what caused her death, according to Cannon Beach Police Chief Jason Schermerhorn. He said police are waiting for toxicology reports. "It is hard to know with a child that size," said Schermerhorn. "They need to await a toxicology report."
Court records show that Jessica Smith's husband, Greg, had filed for divorce on June 30. Jessica then filed a restraining order against the husband on July 17, said Nathan Petersen, Greg Smith's attorney.
Petersen also said that Jessica Smith was supposed to give the children to their dad for visitation the day they were found.
[video=youtube_share;P9h1gXvym2I]http://youtu.be/P9h1gXvym2I[/video]
Chief Schermerhorn said the children’s dad, Greg Smith, has been ruled out as a suspect in the case and has cooperated with the investigation.
According to police, Greg Smith had shown concern about his ex-wife's mental state. He had requested a psychological evaluation before a judge made a decision about who would have custody of the couple's children. "There are no other suspects," Schermerhorn said.
Police say the suspect will appear in court Monday to answer charges of aggravated murder and attempted aggravated murder.
If she is convicted of aggravated murder, Jessica Smith could face the death penalty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Muthoni

Children look up to their parents as a provider and protector. When the said protector turns around and causes them harm, then no words can describe the atrocity. The two year old girl’s life has been cut short before she made a mark on this world. The thirteen year old will require a lot of professional help so that she can live a normal life. No punishment would fit this crime if you ask me.

Gelsemium

I really don't understand how a parent can kill their own children, they are what we love the most, that is not a person, but a monster really.