NJ Woman Throws Baby/Self into Ocean

Rhoda D'Ettore

A 23 year old NJ woman threw her child into the ocean, then jumped in herself. Fishermen and onlookers were shocked before diving in to rescue them. The woman is being charged for aggravated assault. One 20 something male witness was visibly shaken at the site of this.

jgon3491

Did the baby die? Is there a link?
I wonder if the mother had postpartum depression? Either way it doesn't give her the right to to try to drown her child.

Gin0710

That's just horrible. I'm not excusing what the mother did, it's awful! It seems she might have been feeling a bit overwhelmed between trying to raise a kid and whatever situation she was in. Raising kids and trying to pay for them is hard these days.

Rhoda D'Ettore

A retired firefighter was fishing and saved the baby, giving it CPR. The child was a month old. We have laws where she could leave the baby at the hospital, police, or fire department without questions. If she wanted to get "rid" of the child, that is a better way to go.

I tried to post the link, but it would not let me. You can find it at NJ dot com

Muthoni

It is so sad when someone feels that they have no other option but to die. This woman thought that it would be better to die with her baby. Sometimes a problem can make someone not to think rationally. I hope that she is able to get the help she needs to understand that life is a gift that should be treasured.

LongShot

This saddens me because it shows what most people would act similar to this. Some one would actually go the adoption route which is the obvious if you don't want your baby. Please don't throw up though.

Kate

A 23 year old NJ woman threw her child into the ocean, then jumped in herself. Fishermen and onlookers were shocked before diving in to rescue them. The woman is being charged for aggravated assault. One 20 something male witness was visibly shaken at the site of this.

Wait... hold the train here. I can usually understand the reasoning behind things when charges are involved... I think most of us can. But this time I need a little help... is there an officer here who can tell us why this would have been charged as aggravated assault and not attempted murder? Were more charges brought later?

Maybe I'd better go research that before I post this... hold on a sec. Okay, it says "and could face other charges." I should hope so... I'll have to keep up with this story and I'll try to update if I hear more. This story's only two days old, so I think it will probably be changing.

shreklock

It's so sad that some people are capable of doing things like this. I don't even know if there are any way to prevent this from happening, maybe educating people.

DancingLady

I hope someone takes the time to find out what happened to her before this. I am immediately reminded or story I read many years ago from the time when the Nazis were taking away right after right from the Jewish people and making their lives terribly difficult in the lead up to concentration camps. This woman had a baby, then took her baby and jumped out the hospital window leaving a note saying she thought it was better they die now than her baby grow up in a world gone mad.

Hearing about this woman I just wonder if she might be the victim of horrible abuse and we just don't know about yet. She didn't just want to get rid of her child, she wanted to die too, that makes me think she thought she was saving her child from something as well as escaping her living hell in the only she thought possible.

Rhoda D'Ettore

I'm from Jersey, and we trust no one. The first thing I thought was that she knew she wouldn't die, but the child would. I thought of Susan Smith. She claimed she wanted to die too, but then got out. I also wanted to know why she was not immediately charged with attempted murder. The child is only one month old. I totally sense a "post-pardem psychosis" defense coming on.

Patrick

This is messed up. As much as we can argue for one's right to end his/her life, we have no right to take that of another. The woman chose to end the life of her own child, but the child has no say in the matter. What she did was atrocious and morally offensive.

Popcorn365

I just don't understand this. There are a number of legal, non harmful ways to give up your baby if you can't deal with it. Adoption, the fire station, hospitals, the police station. I don't understand why people do this. There are nights that I feel like I'm at my breaking point (usually after being up for three day's straight with my 5 month old, taking care of my 6 year old and keeping my house somewhat in order) BUT as exhausted as I get and as muddled as my brain gets, I couldn't imagine doing something like this to my peanut. I just don't understand

Determined2014

I am glad she was arrested, if she was depressed she should have left her child at a safe place and jumped in on her own , since she wanted to end her life, how selfish.

pattycake

A retired firefighter was fishing and saved the baby, giving it CPR. The child was a month old. We have laws where she could leave the baby at the hospital, police, or fire department without questions. If she wanted to get "rid" of the child, that is a better way to go.

I tried to post the link, but it would not let me. You can find it at NJ dot com

Oh wow... That baby is so lucky! It just wasn't meant to be. It wasn't meant for the baby or the mother to die like that and why they survived it. I don't feel any anger at this mother, she's hurting and need help. Hopefully she'll get it.

DancingLady

Post pardem psychosis is rare, but it does happen sometimes. If she had that, there would probably be signs ahead of time other people had observed that she was not mentally stable.

SamClemensMT

I didn't see this one on the news or read about in the newspapers. What I believe is that people are struggling with many issues these days, and many of them are not able to cope. I don't think it will get any easier, so I encourage people to develop a spiritual life for the sake of inner peace. I think that might prevent future tragedies.

Gelsemium

I can't even imagine the level of desperation that leads a mother to kill her baby and try to kill herself, what a sad world we live in...

Nate5

I did not hear about this when it happened. Terrible, terrible news. It's an innocent baby that has done nothing wrong, what reason would you have to kill him or her? It's a life that you created. If you don't want to live, go seek help. But do not drag your child into your twisted world.