No Knock Warrants.

timelord731

Can someone explain why a no knock warrant is effective. From what I understand about it, the police just barge in, startling the occupant. If you fire on this invading force, are you charged with attempted assault?

mrsbright

They probably do this kind of things because they expect that, if they knocked, the people inside would destroy any evidence. I kind of also imagine that, if they knock down the door, they'd scream something like, "POLICE! FREEZE!" and then anyone who would shoot at them would be getting trouble, yeah.

bala

@mrsbright
Yup second that.firing only calls for unwanted trouble.They normally barge in and shout POLIcE FREEZE.its better if we refrain from doing anything.
You are inviting trouble if you even take a stick in measure of defense.

Kamarsun1

it usually happens for a federal crime, like drugs or something. For just a basic warrant I don't think they have the right to do such a thing, but I'm not 100% sure.

Patrick

I don't think its effective at all, it's very unsafe for both the officers involved and the home occupant. Both sides have suffered numerous fatalities over the past few years, with home owners thinking that they were being broken into and arming themselves in self-defense, and police killing them in return since they are deemed a threat.

This practice needs to be abolished ASAP.

Shimus

I'm into the abolishing of this myself. It will only lead to both the police and occupant getting injured or at the very least, very pissed off enough to sue the district of (wherever) for invasion of home privacy, etc... it's a very legal-tangled road. Plus, if they're that concerned about people destroying evidence, they should already have someone covering all possible escape routes, and then just ahead and knock and enter after that. You could catch them in the act, thus red handed guilty. Or if they try to run, you have it covered.

This method is horrible for both parties involved.