NY Officers Attacked With Ax, Suspect Killed

Anthony

Super Moderator
Officers-Attacked-With-Ax.jpg

New York City police have shot and killed a man they say attacked patrol officers with a hatchet in Jamaica, Queens, Thursday. Four officers and a woman were injured, and the assailant was fatally shot.

The incident took place on Jamaica Avenue and 162nd Street around 2 p.m. A photographer asked the four officers to pose for a picture. As they prepared to take a photo, the assailant approached the four officers and started swinging the hatchet without saying a word.

Authorities say a rookie officer was struck in the head with the hatchet and is in critical condition. Another police officer was struck in the arm is in stable condition, both were transported to Jamaica Hospital.

The two other officers who suffered minor injuries fired on the man, stopping the attack. The assailant was pronounced dead at the scene.

A 29-year-old female bystander was hit by a bullet and underwent surgery at Jamaica Hospital, where she is recovering, police said.

Police are not clear on what provoked the attack.

The suspect "charged at the officers with a hatchet in his hand," said police commissioner Bill Bratton. "Unprovoked and not speaking a word, the male then swung at one of the officers with a hatchet, striking his right arm. After striking that officer, the suspect continuing swinging the hatchet, striking a second officer in the head."

Investigators were working to confirm the identity of the assailant, Bratton said.

We will continue to bring you the latest developments as they become available.

Last edited:

Peninha

The police is never safe, but I wonder why this man attacked them with... an ax?! I hope the injured officer gets better soon.

mimsee

Oh my goodness, this is terrifying. If he was able to do this to a group of police officers he could've done it to anybody..a group of children even. I don't weep for the assailant but I hope that everyone who was injured (especially the lady bystander) will make a full recovery..though since the rookie officer is in critical condition his future may not look too bright right now.

Muthoni

There is hype about the attack of the zombies; they are already walking at present. How does someone decide to leave home with a hatchet with the intention of killing without being provoked? So sorry for the officers and this young woman hurt in this incidence. We will never know why this man did what he did.

Gelsemium

I agree, being attacked by an ax is something I can't imagine, glad they stopped him, but serious injuries were already made.

Strykstar

I hope that all police officers are able to fully recover and return to duty.
I know we shouldn't wish harm on anyone, but I'm glad they outright killed the guy.

LuckyGirl08

People are getting crazy these days. There are so many people who hate police and they are starting to show it. I hope the officers recover from this and be more caution when they are out in public.

pattycake

People are getting crazy these days. There are so many people who hate police and they are starting to show it. I hope the officers recover from this and be more caution when they are out in public.

Hatred for cops goes way back to ancient times because people don't like being told on or stopped from doing whatever they feel like doing.

caparica007

I hope that all police officers are able to fully recover and return to duty.
I know we shouldn't wish harm on anyone, but I'm glad they outright killed the guy.

I am not glad they killed him, but I am glad he's not going to hurt anyone else...

Gelsemium

I wonder what goes on in someone's head to attack police officers with an ax? He wanted to die, that is for sure.

Peninha

Most likely drug issues or personal problems with on of those officers, I guess we will never know.

caparica007

Those are the most common cases for this sort of random violence yes, but I feel that they will go to the end of it.

oraclemay

The police are always on dangerous ground when they are on duty. I cannot imagine what I would do if I was confronted by an attacker, at least the police had a gun.