On-Duty Philadelphia Officer Arrested For DUI, Assault

Rainman

A Philly cop who showed up drunk at work attracted the wrong sort of attention. And was promptly arrested the moment a Sergeant present noticed that he was drunk. He tried to resist arrest but was subdued swiftly.

Cathey is now being charged with DUI, Aggravated and Simple Assault, and other related offenses. Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey has suspended him for 30 days with the intent to dismiss.

Gabe

It was a very foolish thing to do and he must have some issues as he rolled up in a police car with three flat tires which is enough for him to get pulled over besides being dangerous. I'm sure Internal Affairs will decide what to do as he has a record already, but it appears he needs therapy and help because the knows DUI is wrong and dangerous.

missbishi

Perhaps he's got alcohol issues - it seems likely. Nevertheless, a cop showing up for work drunk? Surely a sackable offence?

Rainman

It definitely is one of those offenses that get someone fired. In addition to DUI, he assaults his boss. And he'd been fired before for assaulting his girlfriend. A violent cop who loves drinking? Better kick him off the force.

Gabe

It's probably best for all he gets help for his issues and changes career. I think the assault may have been resisting arrest, which most drunk people would, however it seems they are throwing the book at him . Perhaps his colleagues should have noticed his behavior or his partner? Maybe they should do more psych tests each year on officers?

Rainman

It's probably best for all he gets help for his issues and changes career. I think the assault may have been resisting arrest, which most drunk people would, however it seems they are throwing the book at him . Perhaps his colleagues should have noticed his behavior or his partner? Maybe they should do more psych tests each year on officers?
They should have noticed earlier that he had issues. Assaulting his wife should have been the red flag they needed to tell them something wasn't right. Force him to get some mandatory counseling. Maybe they've always wanted to get rid of him for some reason?