Only in a free country!

Rainman

It usually takes only a few people in a crowd to stir up trouble. Most people are like sheep. Once some does something, odds that others will join that person in doing something they know isn't right are quite high. The fact that they are part of the crowd makes them think themselves invulnerable.

dyanmarie25

That's the problem with too much freedom in America. Some people don't have any faith in the government and the authority anymore;. Now, these citizens are getting violent, protesting, etc. That's why I think "too much liberty" is more of a bane than a boon.

Patrick

Disappointing for May Day to be ruined by such rowdy behavior. I hope that the perpetrators are all brought to justice.

Diane Lane

If they don't like America, and don't like capitalism, they're free (unlike in some countries) to leave. Non-violent protests are one thing, but once a line is crossed, they have only themselves to blame for the repercussions.

katherine25

I think I missed this one.. but I do agree no matter what the protest is about it should always be a peaceful one and if things get violent than they have no one to blame but themselves.

missbishi

Everyone should have the right to a peaceful protest and whilst I do sympathize with the cause, they've gone about things completely the wrong way.

Gabe

Free speech doesn't mean you have the right to act how you want. While people have the right to protest, others have the right to be able to be safe in their jobs. Protests get out of hand because people want attention or do not feel they are being heard. Instead, it has the opposite effect and puts people off their cause.

mrsbright

You people.

Medias willl almost always blow protests out of proportion. They are just waiting for the moment someone from the protester does something wrong. From my experience in going to peaceful protest, it's almost always the cops starting it -- or, in a few cases, masked people coming to riot and using the chance to make some trouble, which has nothing to do with the protestors themselves.

This has nothing to do with being a free country. The number of times cops crack down on peaceful protests and uses too much force or just stir up trouble is a proof that it is not this much of a free country. But you'd never get this just from looking at the biased media.

I mean, it even clearly says in the article that it was after the end of a peaceful protest. The protest was fine. They were not too clear about how exactly the trouble came about, and for this, I am suspicious. But maybe that's just 'cause I know from too many first or second hand experience how these things go.

thegrey1

Free speech doesn't mean you have the right to act how you want. While people have the right to protest, others have the right to be able to be safe in their jobs. Protests get out of hand because people want attention or do not feel they are being heard. Instead, it has the opposite effect and puts people off their cause.

Exactly! I don't think Americans can ever have "too much freedom," but with great freedom comes great responsibility. This isn't about freedom of expression. This is about lawlessness.