Oregon Woman Throws Her Son Off Bridge

Anthony

Super Moderator
Jillian-Meredith-McCabe.jpg
The mother who called 911 and reported she threw her 6-year-old autistic son off a bridge in the Newport, Oregon has been arrested on murder and manslaughter charges.
Police say Jillian Meredith McCabe, 34, of Seal Rock called 911 at 6:25 p.m. Monday to report she had tossed her son off the Yaquina Bay Bridge.
McCabe was found by police at the scene and taken in for questioning.
Witnesses told police that they saw McCabe walking hand-in-hand with her son before throwing him over the railing and into the water below.
Police and coast guard immediately began searching the water for the boy.
Around 10:25 p.m., authorities discovered the body of the child about a mile inland from the Yaquina Bay Bridge.
According to police, McCabe reportedly told them several times she threw her son off the bridge.
She also told authorities she heard voices telling her to throw her son off the bridge. According to court documents it shows McCabe said, "I just threw my son over the Yaquina Bay Bridge."
McCabe was booked into the Lincoln County Jail and her bail was set at $750,000.
[video=youtube_share;afqMe4P6DyA]http://youtu.be/afqMe4P6DyA[/video]

Attachments

• McCabe.jpg
    McCabe.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 413
Last edited by a moderator:

mimsee

I actually saw this on my local news tonight...they were saying that she threw her son over the bridge because she was denied financial aid for his medical bills along with medical bills that her disabled husband has accrued. To me, there's no excuse. I understand that you need money to do everything and to provide for your child, but a life in poverty is way better than no life at all. I feel sympathy that she could not get the aid that she needed where people who don't have it as bad are getting hundreds of dollars monthly in aid...but I do not sympathize enough to understand how a mother could kill their own child..

Gelsemium

I can't believe in this... She could have given him to an institution, she could have thrown herself, but throwing him? That murder.

pattycake

Whatever is troubling her, if she felt no instinct to care for her child then she should have gave up custody of him. What she did was just plain stupid and now she's in jail. How does landing herself in prison and the murder of her baby improve her circumstances? It's unfortunate for a child to be born to a mother lacking adult faculties. But even still, not all of them will kill their children. This one is just plain stupid. The call she made to the police could have been the call she made to the child welfare administration to take the boy off her hands. Stupid.

pattycake

And I feel that the states are not doing anything to help prevent this kind of thing from happening. They can get the message out to the public to give up custody of their child when the going gets rough and no longer feel like they can care for their child anymore. It's not enough to just put an offender in jail, because that won't stop the same incidents from recurring with other people. It's not protection for children.

pattycake

Gigi Jordan is in the news now for killing her little boy and just got a guilty verdict, she's due to be sentenced for up to 25 years, but how does that protect children? It doesn't. And mother's psyching out and killing their children is growing in numbers. It's blasphemy for the states to be sitting back and doing nothing about it. Making no attempt to protect children from these attacks. They're as guilty as these perp parents.

Peninha

That woman looks totally delusional. How can they protect the kids though pattycake?

caparica007

That is a good question Peninha. I think she has serious problems, killing a child is something not everyone is capable of doing.

dolittle94

Gigi Jordan is in the news now for killing her little boy and just got a guilty verdict, she's due to be sentenced for up to 25 years, but how does that protect children? It doesn't. And mother's psyching out and killing their children is growing in numbers. It's blasphemy for the states to be sitting back and doing nothing about it. Making no attempt to protect children from these attacks. They're as guilty as these perp parents.
This incident is terrible and horribly mortifying, but I don't think that the government would be able to do to much to prevent things like this happening without breaking some laws and disturbing civilians rights. I also don't think that blame can really be placed on them since it's not really their fault that some mothers decide to turn complete psycho on their kids and kill or seriously injure them and they can't do anything before something happens. The government can only interfere so much in people's personal lives and this just happens to be one of those cases where it's not for the best.

Gelsemium

I agree, the woman just freaked out, so what could have the government done, it's something impossible to predict.

pattycake

That woman looks totally delusional. How can they protect the kids though pattycake?

The states can help protect children by getting the message out about giving up custody instead of harming. They can get messages out about motherhood and child abuse in general. They put messages out about smoking and drugs, showing us rotten lungs and so forth in TV commercials, so why not about giving up custody in hardships and motherhood? Why not put out messages against child abuse?

That's how the states can help to protect children.

pattycake

This incident is terrible and horribly mortifying, but I don't think that the government would be able to do to much to prevent things like this happening without breaking some laws and disturbing civilians rights. I also don't think that blame can really be placed on them since it's not really their fault that some mothers decide to turn complete psycho on their kids and kill or seriously injure them and they can't do anything before something happens. The government can only interfere so much in people's personal lives and this just happens to be one of those cases where it's not for the best.

How is getting messages out interfering with anybody's personal life? What are you more concerned about? Children's safety or adult's personal lives?

shandrum

So she just throws her son off the bridge, because of financial hardship...voices in her head said "throw him off the bridge"!!!!! I wonder if their has been any prior dealings with Children Services? I am an educator of children with special needs, and many times, there will be other signs and possible prior reports of suspected abuse. As I look at her picture, the mother does not look well herself and she heard voices to do this act. I can just about predict that this child's parents had prior reports filed through Child Protected Services and for whatever reason, nothing was done. You just don't throw your child off a bridge...

warmweatherwoman

This is an example when I truly believe she deserves a death sentence. That innocent little boy didn't deserve this so she doesn't deserve to live the rest of her life- even it most of it will be behind bars!

Sweetheart

Not good at all. She is interesting to say the least. She heard voices that told her to do this and she was calm when they arrested her. They said that acting calm was odd. I wonder where they get the idea that acting calm is odd. She is a classic case, but I guess that will get unnoticed. She fits the complete profile of someone under complete; well I'm not going to say it.
What a shame.