Parents who limit music to their kids

dariel2323

Do we have any parents like that here, or maybe those who had parents like that? I know my parents tried it but it never really got that far in my house. I don't limit what my kids listen to because I want them to experience all of life and make up their own minds. Is that bad of me as a parent nowadays?

Patrick

I suppose I wouldn't want my kids to listen to any overly vulgar songs, at least until they reach the age of 14-16. Other than that I don't think it's right to restrict them from exploring their musical tastes, they should be given free reign to explore all genres. I know of some people who were only allowed to listen to Christian songs during their childhood, they missed out on many of the classic songs people have grown to cherish and love.

cc1001

I am the same way. I don't limit what my children listen to. If they want to listen to something they will find a way to get to it anyway. I think children rebel when parents are too strict. My children have different taste in music. I grew up in strict household myself. I decided I would give my children more flexibility then I had. They are turning out fine listening to the music they want to listen to.

Teens In Crisis

There are times when I will tell my daughter that I don't think a song is appropriate, or that I'd like her to avoid an artist, but mostly I just talk to her about my concerns and she talks to me about what she likes. The truth is you can't monitor every second of every day, and it's not healthy to try.

However, my daughter & I have an understanding about what is acceptable to "blast" and what needs to have headphones plugged in for. That's less about the content of the songs, and more about respect for the people around you.

DancingLady

I really had no interest in listening to music other than the classical music I was playing myself, so that wasn't an issue in my family. I do think parents should limit what their kids listen to because there is so much junk out there that is just putting bad ideas and ways of thinking into the listeners head. Music should be uplifting, not putting people down or promoting negative thoughts and feelings.

Gin0710

Yes. Sorry to judge, but there is no way in hell I want my seven year old to listen to Niki Minage (I cannot spell the name). I think it's great to expose them to different music, but do it appropriately with their age. I've been playing the Beatles to my girls lately because I think it's good music to know. Hell I even played The Who for them. I just think there are some songs they shouldn't listen to. Maybe when they become teenagers I might be a little more lenient on some songs, but you gotta set a limit.

Gin0710

If they want to listen to something they will find a way to get to it anyway. I think children rebel when parents are too strict.

So why enforce rules when they're going to get away with it anyway? Because you're the parent and they need to know limitations. If they break them you punish them. That's kind of how parenting works.

stevesxs9

I think it's very important that parents involve themselves in the kind of music the children listen to. The children need to know why you approve or disapprove of their music. Eventually They'll make their own choice but, the parents have done all they could do.

calebmelvern

When I have kids already, I would definitely check on the kind of music they listen to. And not just the songs, but the music videos as well. We all know that some music videos these days aren't appropriate for minors. That and at least half the song doesn't make sense.

Patrick

When I have kids already, I would definitely check on the kind of music they listen to. And not just the songs, but the music videos as well. We all know that some music videos these days aren't appropriate for minors. That and at least half the song doesn't make sense.

I would place much more emphasis on music videos over music as well. Many teens may look up to singers as their idols, and it is important that we teach them how to behave appropriately, and not blindly emulate whatever the singers do. Many singers dress scantily, and may reference to sex/drugs/alcohol. We must teach our children that such behavior is not beneficial to them in any way.

Onionman

My parents certainly tried to shape my tastes but they didn't try to stop me listening to what I wanted to. I don't mind the influencing bit so much, as we all kind of what to pass doing a bit of us to the next generation, but banning music is the start of a slippery slope. You don't want to repeat the same mistakes as your parents.

dolittle94

I don't really see it as a bad thing to allow your kids to listen to a lot of music. The problem comes when their listening to it starts to interfere with school; like if they are trying to listen to music and do a reading assignment at the same time knowing that they aren't concentrating on the work. Also, it's a good idea to listen out for what they are listening to because music can influence a child's behavior and mind set. I should know, my sister has that problem (all she listens to is ratchet rap music with vulgar language and sexual themes) and she is sixteen.

Gin0710

It just really bugs the hell out of me when I see eight year olds listening to Niki Minage. I want to smack their mother for allowing it. I just don't think she is the artist girls that age should be listening to. It's disturbing.

Morvack

The biggest problem with letting your kids listening to anything, is kids are impressionable. If the song is slinging f bombs, *the N word, and talks about how they like pot, they are going to want to do all of the above. Music can either make or destroy a generation (as it is now).

SamClemensMT

You are absolutely correct as far as I'm concerned. But the question is, does art imitate life or does life imitate art? Is this generation of artist the result of our culture, or is our culture a reflection of their music? In either case I since a problem brewing.

GlacialDoom

I am 15, and all my life, I've had a clear pass. My mother and father never told me what to listen to or what to not listen to. Hell, my father would sometimes laugh at me when he found I was listening to some more "tender" songs, and he would applaud me when I was starting to listen to rock. Maybe a big part of this is that I'm a pianist in my free time (when I'm not a student xD), and they think I know music better than them.

Josie

No, you're not a bad parent. It's not our job to be dictators, it's our job to guide them. There is no guidance if we're telling them how to live. Where is the growth if they can't make decisions for themselves (with your input, of course). I don't limit what they listen to. The problem people have with some of it is language.. and my kids have been raised to not be offended by language. They're just words and intent should dictate if we get offended or not.. not some words in a song. My kids are their own people, I have no right to tell them how to live their lives. I arm them with the tools they need to survive and make the smartest decisions for themselves, treat them with the same respect I would give anyone else (more, actually) and they haven't disappointed yet. When kids are respected and trusted, they go above and beyond. Hold them back and they rebel.

dez97

It doesn't make you a bad parent at all....your giving them to chance to experience and know what they like from what they don't like you. If you did the opposite in my opinion you are sheltering your kids...and that never helps cause when they hit the actual world they become a totally different person because they are trying to experience everything they never got to experience int he first place. My mom didn't really care....So I listened to whatever I wanted and decided what I didn't and wanted to listen to. It was my choice.

missbishi

Another one here who thinks the videos are far worse than the songs. Robin Thicke springs to mind immediately! And of course Ms. Cyrus! Of course, these videos are all freely available on YouTube so if you have kids who are allowed to access the internet, it makes sense to consider some type of filter.

Profit5500

No, you're not a bad parent. It's not our job to be dictators, it's our job to guide them. There is no guidance if we're telling them how to live. Where is the growth if they can't make decisions for themselves (with your input, of course). I don't limit what they listen to. The problem people have with some of it is language.. and my kids have been raised to not be offended by language. They're just words and intent should dictate if we get offended or not.. not some words in a song. My kids are their own people, I have no right to tell them how to live their lives. I arm them with the tools they need to survive and make the smartest decisions for themselves, treat them with the same respect I would give anyone else (more, actually) and they haven't disappointed yet. When kids are respected and trusted, they go above and beyond. Hold them back and they rebel.
To me the age would be how I would feel about them listening to music. If you have a three-year-old then rap music is not wise. Teens can hear that music, but just make sure that they are respectful to you.