Parole or Full Sentence?

Rhoda D'Ettore

There are two advantages to parole: 1.) It alleviates the prison overcrowding problem 2.) It allows us to determine if the criminal will return to a life of crime while allowing law enforcement to watch him closely because parolees have less rights (example, no warrant is needed to search his home).

Do you think it better to watch criminals for a few years on parole, or to keep them in until they serve their complete sentence, then have no way to monitor them?

Josie

If they're going to go back to a life of crime, they'll do it, parole or no parole. So it's up to them. In the long run, they have to find a better way to turn these people around. Punishing them and creating more resentment towards the system through that sort of abuse, is not going to do anything. And if they've hurt anyone.. killed, raped etc, they need to stay in there. Overcrowding is there own fault.. stop labelling everything a crime worthy of a cage and keep the real crime locked up.

Rainman

Those who committed serious crime should serve out their full sentence. I've heard stories of someone committing more crimes when on parole then disappearing forever. Why should such risks be taken? It's better to have the criminal in jail and when they are released then someone [police have lots of informers] should watch them closely for a little while.

wameyo

Those who committed serious crime should serve out their full sentence. I've heard stories of someone committing more crimes when on parole then disappearing forever. Why should such risks be taken? It's better to have the criminal in jail and when they are released then someone [police have lots of informers] should watch them closely for a little while.

I agree with you. If it's a serious crime then then should serve out their full sentence behind bars than on parole. If it's a petty crime then can be allowed to be on parole.

Gabe

Parole wasn't always allowed, but I think it gives people another chance. Humans do make mistakes and parole is not always granted so there is a fail safe. Some are let out too early which is why parole officers must be well trained, but I don't think it is bad for parole to exist.

oraclemay

Serious crime, especially violence against others should not get parole. They should serve their full sentences.

dyanmarie25

I think it depends on the degree of his/her crime. If he/she has done heinous crimes, I don't think this person should be permitted to walk freely among other people. But, if he/she has been very well-behaved while inside the prison, I think this person somehow deserves a second shot at life.