Personal opinion on marijuana?

Jlunden19

Hi everybody. I'm a college student, and I'd just like to this ask question for my class project. What is your personal opinion on marijuana?

Shimus

I loved it once. Even if it is illegal, there are many more "legal" killers out there. Plus, it grows naturally on our planet and has to have nothing else added to it. This to me means it's no different than tobacco is. The government is just too scared to deal with the legalization and taxation of it. It's much less deadly then Alcohol ever has or will be.

But since it IS illegal, I can't advocate it's usage.

missbishi

It's not illegal everywhere. Depending on which state/country you live in, it is perfectly legal to possess a small amount of marijuana, or grow a couple of plants for personal use. I would be interested to know what people living in such places think of the change in the law.

jperd21

It's not illegal everywhere. Depending on which state/country you live in, it is perfectly legal to possess a small amount of marijuana, or grow a couple of plants for personal use. I would be interested to know what people living in such places think of the change in the law.

I was a resident of Michigan when they passed the law for medical marijuana. As a long-time nerve pain sufferer, I decided to give it a go (LEGALLY!). It did help with the symptoms, but created issues in it's own right.
Though by state law I could consume, possess, and grow certain amounts of MJ, that didn't mean that businesses had to change their views on it. I had a hell of a time trying to get a job with marijuana in my system. They didn't care I had a medical card.
One time I even had an police officer come look at my grow room. He was impressed and said that I met all the requirements within state law. He did, however, report it to my landlord. So I was soon there after evicted :(.

It was strange having all these dispensaries pop up everywhere. I could literally wake up in the morning and drive 2 minutes down the road and by up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana at any time. Or cookies, or brownies, or even lasagna. It was crazy.
Now that I've moved away to a state that it isn't legal, it's even more evident to me the gap in acceptance of the substance.
It was pretty wild being able to purchase it legally (kind of).
I'd love to answer anyone's questions on the subject based on my personal experience.

Kamarsun1

Good post, and you mentioned factors that most people don't look at when the laws change in their area. Overall it's still going to be awhile before this nation as a whole accepts Marijuana, Even if the law says something else.

bala

On a personal stance i feel legalization of marijuana should be done at the earliest.It is crazy to see something natural being termed illegal.
I hate tobacco and other products,so no moer talks on this.

Shimus

Good post, and you mentioned factors that most people don't look at when the laws change in their area. Overall it's still going to be awhile before this nation as a whole accepts Marijuana, Even if the law says something else.

Especially people who say that it's a hard drug like cocaine and people like that. You'll have a hard time convincing a lot of people who've been set in their ways since kids. However, it may be insensitive to say this but when the older generation dies off who holds on to these ideals, I believe the younger generation will be able to handle it with the poise and class it deserves instead of just shunning it widely.

Rainman

Marijuana shouldn't be legalized but since it is as bad as alcohol, tobacco, etc, I think people should be allowed to make choices to use or not to use the drug. Kids learn about drug abuse in school don't they? Illegal though it is, does it keep people from using it? It's much better IMO, to legalize it and focus more on teaching kids not to use it.

blur92

This is extremely interesting. Only because the law changes does not mean a chunk of society's views will. People still retain their judgments on the matter. To some extent I can see an employer denying someone a job depending on what it is. The mind needs to remain sharp for certain duties. However, other medications, such as pain killers, should be handled in the same way depending on the dosage since those also impinge on work abilities. I can also see why the landlord would evict a user if they were smoking inside. Some places do not allow cigarette smokers either. It is not discriminatory on marijuana itself, rather, the smell and any other outcome of prolonged smoking in general.

warmweatherwoman

Historically MJ has been used for over 5000 years medicinally. The fact that it is illegal does NOT end the discussion as someone stated above- for that reason alone the discussion should continue until this unfounded decision is reversed. It has proven medicinal value and should be legal for medicinal and recreational use. Prescription pills are addictive and kill people daily- but those are legal..come on already. We aren't in the 1930's when they TRIED to make you believe MJ would make white woman go crazy and sleep with black men..SMFH at the ignorance about this herb that still exists.

bala

Marijuana shouldn't be legalized but since it is as bad as alcohol, tobacco, etc, I think people should be allowed to make choices to use or not to use the drug. Kids learn about drug abuse in school don't they? Illegal though it is, does it keep people from using it? It's much better IMO, to legalize it and focus more on teaching kids not to use it.
Marijuana shouldn't be legalized but since it isn't as bad as alcohol, tobacco, etc. :) :)
The choice would be a great option but i am sure most would surely opt for it rather than refraining from it.If we need to curb its usage,we can't give them a choice.can we..?

haitch

I think that it is very similar to smoking cigarettes. however i think that it should be decriminalised. for some people it may have bad effects but for others it can really help them. Seizures have been shown to reduce with marijuana and more research should be done to see its benefits.

musicmonster

It is not bad at all. I'm amazed that it cigarettes are still legal and alcohol, but this plant is still in the gray area. There is nothing wrong with it and noone has died yet taking it.

Kamarsun1

I agree with you, it's a plant that has more good benefits then bad, but Cigarettes and alcohol only have bad effects, virtually no health benefits, but it's ok for us to do these things, it just doesn't make any sense in my book.

donnalynn47

I personal don't have a problem with it. Of course it's against the law, but other then that. As long as a person uses a small amount for personal use. I can't see in harm in it as stated above there are far worse things that are perfectly legal that do much more damage like alcohol.

OMGnoWAY

Responsible users are not so much a problem. People who drive on it are a small problem. Dealers, however, are a problem. Most anyone dealing in large quantity is going to be very different from your average user. Drug dealers have weapons, enemies, and a lot to lose/gain. This leads to violence, robbery, intimidation, etc and is a legitimate public danger. As long as marijuana remains illegal, people who deal in it will remain a problem. Period.

piez

I think it is a good thing that it is starting to become legalized in more areas. I definitely feel that there are worse things out there that are actually legal. Besides, the main thing that is actually bad with marijuana is when you smoke it. Just like when you smoke anything it will do damage to your lungs. But with everything out these days it's easier than ever to get the high without the smoke.

PriscillaKing

Hi everybody. I'm a college student, and I'd just like to this ask question for my class project. What is your personal opinion on marijuana?

I'm not a cop, in case you need answers from police officers only...I think smoking *anything* in a place where other people have to breathe it, including on the street, should remain illegal.

PriscillaKing

Historically MJ has been used for over 5000 years medicinally. The fact that it is illegal does NOT end the discussion as someone stated above- for that reason alone the discussion should continue until this unfounded decision is reversed. It has proven medicinal value and should be legal for medicinal and recreational use. Prescription pills are addictive and kill people daily- but those are legal..come on already. We aren't in the 1930's when they TRIED to make you believe MJ would make white woman go crazy and sleep with black men..SMFH at the ignorance about this herb that still exists.

Hoot. I guess the idea was that interracial sex = prostitution to support the addiction. Anyway I'm all in favor of legalizing marijuana if and whenever it comes in a single-user (non-smokable) form.