Please step out of the vehicle

JoshPosh

Banned
In what instances do a police officer have the right to tell the driver of a pulled over vehicle to step out of the car? I really want to know, because most times it's not really necessary. Unless the officer wanted to say something in private so the passengers of the vehicle don't hear what the officer is asking or saying.

SamClemensMT

They probably want to be able to observe the person, and have them where there hands and actions can be clearly observed. Police officers have been fired upon by people in cars who then took off. Leaving the officer bleeding to death and on the ground. So please, be understanding if you're asked to "step out of the vehicle". No I'm not a cop, but I play one on television.

Teens In Crisis

Maybe your question gives away the problem. You wanted to know when does the officer have the "right to tell a person..." but you phrased it as, "Please step out of the vehicle" in the title.

I don't want to read too much into that, but perhaps you could look at it like the officer was ASKING, rather politely, to step out of the vehicle? It does not seem like a situation that has to be needlessly confrontational.

askanison

Most times they want to go to the back or front of the car to avoid being hit by any passing vehicles on the highway. Many officers have been killed by getting hit by someone passing by too close. I would just do what the officer asked and not give him any reason to tazer or mace you. You can always argue a ticket later. If you get arrested for saying or doing something stupid then it is a whole new mess.

Patrick

They might have some suspicions about the contents of your vehicle, be worried you might try to escape, or if you are concealing anything dangerous. I have been caught speeding before, but have not been asked to step out of my vehicle. I think there are Standard Operating Procedures for asking an individual to step out of his vehicle.

Rhoda D'Ettore

They want to see if you are sober. Having you get out is one of the best ways to tell your coordination. They had my husband get out because he told them he dropped his wallet down the seat and they were fearful he would pull a gun. Personally, if I didn't do anything wrong, then I don't care. As long as they are respectful.

Officers see a lot of things we will never understand. I was at the grocery store and had my nephews picking fruit for me and putting it into the plastic baggies. I shoved the extra bags in my purse, not realizing it, and juggling three kids on a shopping trip. I got pulled over that night, and when I opened the purse, the officer flipped out thinking I had drugs. It did not register in my head, so yes, I got upset. It was something I would never have thought of. He laughed when he saw "ACME Markets" stamped across it.