Police Car Inspections

vinceasneed

I have heard that each police officer must have their car inspected. Any damage or issues could be the responsibility of the officer and get him or her written up. I have also heard that some officers will accidentally damage their car and try and get it put off on the person who takes the shift after them. I don't know how true all of this. I am not inclined to believe it. But I thought it would be interesting to ask. If anyone knows, please feel free to comment.

Hengista

I think it makes sense for everyone's car to have mandatory inspection. It's a great way to ensure you don't go out of service in the middle of a highway or heavy traffic, and in the case of police officers, you certainly don't want your car to break down in the middle of a chase, or in transit to a crime location.

LitoLawless

That actually makes complete sense. I really wasn't aware that cops got car inspections but I can see why they would need them. I think it would be easy to see that the people before the new shifter weren't to blame if the car is messed up before it is taken out.

Shimus

I am curious to hear the answer to this as well. Sometimes the cars around here on the force like they've took damage from something. And this is a quiet town.. I always did wonder lol.

I'm sure that's not it, however.

JoanMcWench

I would assume there is a system in place that can excuse certain damage to the care. Like in the case of dealing with a perp or crime. I imagine it would be really difficult to hold an officer responsible for some derelict shooting at his car.

missbishi

I think what generally happens is that when officers return the cars to the station, they have to "book-in" and hand the keys over to someone. This person then gives the cars the once-over before recording any relevant information. I can't see how they would keep track of the whereabouts and availability of their vehicles without such a system in place.

Gelsemium

Yep, pretty much like you say missbishi and similar to a rent-a-car as well, when you return the vehicle is has to be inspected to see if it's damaged and in the case that it is, who is responsible for that.