Police Chief Shots Wife

Rainman

A Georgia police chief who shot his wife when questioned by the 911 operator describe the shooting said that both he and the wife were asleep when the gun was fired.

Questioned further he said that the shot was fired when he was moving the gun from the bed. One would ask why he had a gun with him in bed in the first place and how he could shoot while he was asleep.

Later in the call, the operator asked McCollom, "Were you asleep also when this happened?"

"Yes," he said.

Huh? Crime of passion or accident? The police chief has not been charged yet as the shooting is investigated.

weepforsweep

The chief should be charged regardless if it was intentional or not. There is no reason to put a gun under your pillow. Put the gun under your bed.

Kamarsun1

Something sounds funny about this story. I don't understand why would he have a gun in the bed. There is more to this story than what is being said, at least it seems that way, but the only one who really knows is the Police Chief.

stevesxs9

It doesn't really sound like an accident to me but I could be wrong. The key is to keep your family safe at all times, and it seemed like he failed to do so in this case.

sunrider

Extremely suspicious! Nobody outside of the circumstance knows the full story right now, but I'd bet money for sure that this didn't happen the way it's being described. He's asleep with a gun in his bed, he goes to move it, shoots the wife? That doesn't sound remotely plausible. Funny thing is, she seems to be backing him up right now. If it's a case of spousal abuse, that's not completely unheard of...but geez, I'd think the solidarity would crumble once it comes to being shot!

LitoLawless

This is such a sad thing to hear. I don't really know what the frame of mind was of the police chief but I'm pretty sure he knows what happens when you shot someone. I think that he should be trailed to the fullest extent of the law, being that he is suppose to uphold it and know it extremely well.

Peachdejour

If it was under his pillow, I could see them getting him on something like negligent homicide. However, I don't think all the details have come out on this yet. I saw a video the other day of a police office and his wife in an elevator. Officer went to get something out of his pocket and the gun fell from the holster and shot the officer in the stomach. Accidents happen, but they should not happen in the bed of all places.

mrsbright

If that's an accident... I mean, I was working in a shooting club, and they all knew exactly how to use a gun and what the safety rules are. Basic stuff. Police chief should know them well, as it is his job. That's even more dangerous than leaving a burning candle on your nighttable!

Whatever the cause is, let him have it.

DancingLady

There is no good reason to have a gun in the bed, it could be on the night stand, under the bed, beside the head of the bed. All those places would be much safer and still easy access if something should happen during the night. I don't think this was an accident.

Rosyrain

I don't think it was smart on the Part of the chief to keep a loaded gun under his pillow. My guess is that this incident was by design and made to look like an accident. Some people think that they are above the law and can get away with anything.*

Muthoni

The story does not add up how he could have been asleep and shot his wife at the same time. The story does not say if the wife died or is still alive. It is so unfortunate when one gets hurt in the hands of the person supposed to protect them. This is the reason why there are continuous debates about possession of guns.