Police Friends

vinceasneed

I used to want to be a police officer when I was growing up. I was excited about it but my grandfather was against it and did everything in his power to discourage me. One of the things he told me was that you have fewer friends as a police officer with the exception of their police friends. He said people would feel nervous around you and also that they might not like cops in the first place. So I was wondering if that is a true statement? I have not had any cops in my family so there is no one I know that I can ask. I've assumed that police officers have just as many friends as everyone else. But I could be wrong. So if anyone has an idea, please let me know.

primalclaws1974

I am not an officer, but that is an interesting question to ponder. I have not thought of this. I guess the first thing to consider would be the size of the city. If it's a small town, and everyone knew the cop, it could go either way. If the officer is well-known to be hard-nosed, he may not have many friends. If he is like Andy Griffith he may be buddies with the entire town. In a larger town I feel this wouldn't matter as much. But even if it was true in a big city, there are bars and other places that are designed for cops only, so a person could make friends with other precincts and have plenty of buddies.

Rainman

It all depends on a number of factors. How outgoing is the cop? How does he interact with the community when he's in uniform? The people in the community themselves. Do they appreciate what cops do for them? That's why I'd say that the number of friends a cop will have varies from place to place and it all hinges on numerous factors not just the one fact that the person happens to be a cop.

I know a number of cops who have numerous friends who aren't policemen.

DancingLady

I don't think that is the case. When you are off duty you are off duty and free to enjoy all the social activities other people enjoy. The only people who would feel nervous around you probably wouldn't be good friends anyway.

missbishi

I'm pretty sure that cops mainly hang out with other cops. I suppose that there are certain pressures of the job that only other cops would understand, especially if you've been dealing with a particularly disturbing case that you probably couldn't tell anyone else about.

LitoLawless

I think that police officers have just as many friends as anybody else. I think that there are some things that you shouldn't do around your cop friends though. For the most part, I think that cops have just as many friends as anybody else.

Profit5500

I used to want to be a police officer when I was growing up. I was excited about it but my grandfather was against it and did everything in his power to discourage me. One of the things he told me was that you have fewer friends as a police officer with the exception of their police friends. He said people would feel nervous around you and also that they might not like cops in the first place. So I was wondering if that is a true statement? I have not had any cops in my family so there is no one I know that I can ask. I've assumed that police officers have just as many friends as everyone else. But I could be wrong. So if anyone has an idea, please let me know.
Well your grandfather does have a point about having less friends. However, its up to you to decide if you want to be an officer of the law. I cannot tell you not to and he may discourage you but it is your life so you can decide.

Kittyworker

Your grandfather is correct in that you have fewer non-police friends as a cop. I've seen it with my family where most of their friends are people they work with. Though they all know that its important to have a life outside the police force as well and they have many friends who are friends because they share a common interest. I would say that most people are friends with people they have worked with at some point in time. Its not just a police thing.

bala

Police officers do have 'real' friends inside and outside of work. They also have friends who are not their 'real' friends inside and outside of work. It may come as some surprise to you but police officers are normal people just like other people are. They often have families as well. Weird ain't it.~!!

shilpa123

I believe you can enjoy all the social activities just like any normal person. A person can be a police officer only for a part of his life but not his entire life.