Police Killings On The Rise

Anthony

Super Moderator
attachment.php

U.S. law enforcement deaths rose by 56 percent increase in the number killed by gunfire compared to the previous year and included 15 ambush assaults, according to a report released Tuesday.

According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, this year 126 federal, state and local police officers have died in the line of duty. A 24 percent increase from last year, when 102 police officers were killed. Fifty were shot, compared with thirty in 2013.

According to the report, the states with the most police officer deaths were were California, at fourteen, Texas, at eleven, and New York, at nine. Florida had six deaths, and Georgia had five.

The second highest cause of death for police officers in 2014 were traffic related incidents, with 49 of the 126 deaths.

"I'm deeply concerned that a growing anti-government sentiment in America is influencing weak-minded individuals to launch violent assaults against the men and women working to enforce our laws and keep our nation safe," Craig Floyd, the memorial fund's chairman said. "Enough is enough. We need to tone down the rhetoric and rally in support of law enforcement and against lawlessness."

Attachments

• mourningbandspolicebadges.jpg
    mourningbandspolicebadges.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:

pattycake

It's a two way street. The police are doing inhumane things to certain people, and inhumane things are being done to the police. No one but no one is above cause and effect. Right now, they're going after Bill De Blasio for speaking against police misconduct as if no one has the right to speak against the police. Well the police are not above cause and effect. No one is.

missbishi

Too true Pattycake. Whilst it is terrible that officers get killed on duty,the things that are done by the police need to be addressed too. Maybe this would do something to improve public perception of officers. Things will never change otherwise.

dolittle94

That's true, both sides are in the wrong. To me it seems as if either side is ignoring their own wrong doings and retaliating and scolding the opposing side, and that's just another problem, the view of pitting against each other. It does seem like there have been a plenty of relatively small anti-government movements and actions and I'm hoping they come to a solution soon if not a sudden gain of rationality.

Sweetheart

Big sigh here. Craig Floyd. There is a lot more to the anti-government sentiment to say enough is enough. The police are a completely separate entity from the US government. They shouldn't be. If the US government acted with half of the integrity of any police officer or department. We wouldn't have any of the problems we have in this country. Please. Police officers and fireman have better intentions than the majority of politicians have in their little finger nails. Sorry but you can't relate the the anti-government sentiment of this country with any police department.
Sorry but I don't mean to generalize. This is not to say that there aren't any politicians with integrity or police officers that act out of line or do something that is questionable. But if we want to talk about something like this. I will say that a rise in police officers being killed is a rise in economic failure. Economic failure of the nation. Crime goes up, resentment builds.
The big thing now is a teacher's salary will be based on a students grades. How about we base a politician's salary on the economy of this country? The state and the counties they are responsible for. How about that? You have unemployment in your city that is higher than another. Well you better figure that out or you will take a pay cut yourself. Please. This is elementary school math here. Anti-government sentiment is directly related to the government. The police just have to keep order under a government that is lacking in ability. Clear and simple.

Onionman

I think the ambush element is the worst bit to me. There's stuff that goes on in the call of duty which you would expect. But when people go out of their way to take out the police, it's a sad indictment on society.

Gelsemium

Sad that the increase is raising like this, I wish we could have more social order, but with the crisis more and more crime is likely to occur.