Police officer hospitalized after being hit, dragged by car

Rainman

A man in Jersey struck a police officer with his car then dragged her more than 30 feet . . .

[she was] then thrown into a parked car when the vehicle's driver swerved in a bid to escape, police said.
The man had refused to cooperate with the officer's directives and thought escape was the best option.
[the man] and a passenger, 39-year-old Bonnie Manning, were both arrested at the scene without incident. Officers recovered an undisclosed amount of suspected marijuana that was in plain view inside the vehicle.

Police officer hospitalized after being hit, dragged by car - CBS News

And people still ask why people like these get shot?

Gabe

People panic, or they may have been high, but people who commit crimes make it worse for themselves when they do these kinds of things. Escape is rarely possible these days with CCTV everywhere unless you are Russian or Italian mafia, so just imagine this could have turned into a manslaughter case.

Rainman

Had this police officer been one of those trigger happy cops I think this would have ended pretty badly. If someone is stopped by police they just should answer questions, do exactly what the cops say and maybe they wouldn't make things any worse than they already were. For this couple:

both face numerous charges, including aggravated assault on a police officer, criminal attempted manslaughter and assault by auto.

A very long jail term awaits them.

missbishi

If only they'd stopped. Now, they've just made things so much worse for themselves, going from a possession charge to attempted manslaughter. Hopefully, Sgt. Urtasun, the officer who was injured, will make a full recovery.

mrsbright

Stories on this forum always make me shake my head and sigh and " What's wrong with the wooorld" feeling, seriously.

Obviously, he should not have done that.

Obviously, he was not thinking straight.

But damn it the moment he hit the cop should have shocked him back into thinking!

stevesxs9

Only thing I ask is why some people get shot in the back with no weapon on them or get choked to death without a weapon or resistance. Anytime someone drags a person whether it be a Police or not, should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The problem in a lot of cases is there are too many loopholes in the law. One person may receive 25 years for their crime and another gets probation for just about the same crime.

marcamm

They should have cooperated accordingly because they were responsible for their actions. They knew that they've done something bad so their instinct was "self-preservation," which was to escape. What they didn't know was that they couldn't hide forever, and eventually they will be caught. Another thing was that they responded to a problem by adding more problem to their cause. It's like digging yourself even deeper to your grave. What could you expect? They got what they deserve.