Police Overtime

vinceasneed

Whenever I go to events, I often see police officers working overtime. They are asked to do security. I also notice that they wear their uniform to such things. Do they have to first get department approval to work security at these overtime events? I would think they would have to. This would especially be true since they are wearing their uniform and representing their department. Do they fill paperwork at the department beforehand? I have always wondered how that worked.

missbishi

I believe that the organizers have to notify the police that an event is taking place. The police then decide whether they will send officers along. So it's really just another part of their duties. They don't have to get approval to work at these events, they are simply sent as part of their normal working day.

Gelsemium

If police officers are working after hours I am pretty sure they are being paid for that and it has to relate public safety no?

Patrick

It might not be overtime, but just part of their shift. Police officers have to on standby 24/7 after all.

ally79

Generally when you see officers in uniform working events like concerts they are technically "off duty" and the event organizers are responsible for paying their salary. They do have to have prior departmental approval before they can take on a job that requires them to wear their uniform. Police officers don't make very much money at all, they really are public servants, and most of them have to work a second job even if they don't wear their uniform for it.