Police scanner?

Rosyrain

Do any of you own a police scanner, or are they even legal where you live? They used to be a popular form of entertainment when I was growing up. Some families owned them and we would sit around listening to what was going on in the community, but I do not hear of them being used really anymore.

thegrey1

I remember when EVERYBODY had one! They were cool back in the day. I know a few people who still have them, but not many.

kana_marie

Banned
We have one. The problem is the sherriffs office uses analog, so we can pick it up. The city cops use digital. I'm guessing there is a me hole different scanner for digital, but I honestly have no idea. All I know is if they don't call the sheriff, I don't get to hear it.

thegrey1

We have one. The problem is the sherriffs office uses analog, so we can pick it up. The city cops use digital. I'm guessing there is a me hole different scanner for digital, but I honestly have no idea. All I know is if they don't call the sheriff, I don't get to hear it.
AWWW! That stinks! I guess with everything going digital, that was bound to happen.

bala

I can recount on this instance the hard way.My brother in the US had this app on his ipad and was listening to it while he was driving and we were caught for trying to plot a crime of sorts.We had a hard time explaining it was for FUN.
Thank god he was nice,he let us off with a stern warning after my brother explained "I" was a visitor here and that he was just showing me what it was.
Thank goodness.

Diane Lane

I have scanner apps on my iPod touch. Unfortunately, my local area isn't on there, but I'm in a neighborhood Facebook group, and get all the happenings that way. There are always people posting about trespassers, thefts, loud noises, loose dogs, etc., which is nice. I used to have an actual police scanner, and loved listening to it. I turned someone in that way before. I had just seen him on my way home, got home and turned scanner on, heard he was being sought, so called the local police and told them where he was, and listened while he was apprehended. I also happened to be listening one day, when I heard an ambulance being dispatched to a friend's house. I found out later that she'd made chicken soup and had forgotten to strain it, and her hubby choked on a bone. He survived via the Heimlich, FYI.