Positivity - Stories of People Helping Others (Including Animals)

Diane Lane

I saw this a bit ago, and wanted to share. We see so many negative stories in the news, and discuss them here, so I wanted to balance that out a little with a positive thread of instances where people reached out and helped others, both human and animal. I especially love that this is unsolicited. The person saw a need, and went out of his/her way to address it, before the car's owner was even aware there was a problem.

Student who left headlights on finds cables and detailed instructions for jumpstarting his car left by world's friendliest stranger | Daily Mail Online

thegrey1

Oh this is a lovely story! Thanks for sharing it. It reminds me of once when I drove to the grocery store, and my car decided not to start back. It was late, and I didn't know how I was going to get home. A man pulled up and got out , offering to start my car. After I was up and running, he said, "I saw you sitting here, and I ran to Walmart to buy some cables. I want you to have them." I was blown away! I try to pay it forward as often as I can, because there really ARE a lot of good people out there!

Diane Lane

Aww, I love that he went out of his way to help, seeing you were in need. What a great gift, too, and you've probably given people a few jumpstarts with those cables by now, too. I wish we had more of that in this world, and I believe sharing positive stores can prompt people to think of others more than themselves, and could start the ball rolling in a more positive direction. I saw a young teenage boy broken down one day on my way home from class several years ago, and, even though he had a nice car, and probably had the ability to call someone for help, I stopped and asked if he'd like a ride home. He didn't live far, and it was on my way, so it really wasn't a big deal for me, but he and his parents certainly appreciated it. I've been in the position of needing help, and I am so appreciative when someone helps, that I like to reach out and offer help when I'm able.

Gabe

There are some kind and thoughtful people out there. I once found a handbag in the street and I could have left it there as my friends said it might be a bomb. It had two phones in, cash and keys so I found a doctor's appointment card inside and it was nearby so I took it there as she must have been a patient so they could contact her to pick it up.

dyanmarie25

I guess people are generally good. Now, my faith in humanity has been restored. I hope there would be more good Samaritans out there who would be kind of enough to help others.

Thank you for sharing this heartwarming story!

IshieVonDyson

I like this thread. Sometimes there’s nothing like a reminder of how considerate kind people can actually be. Also it reminds me I need a tool kit and jumper cables ASAP, haha.

A few years ago, my then-boyfriend and I were riding with his friends back to their house one night. Something was lying alongside the shoulder of the road, we couldn’t tell whether it was an animal or a human. I must admit it wasn’t my idea to turn the car around and see what was happening. But we did, and it turned out to be a girl and one of her family members. They’d been walking back from a nearby convenience store when the girl collapsed with severe back pain halfway along the route. I got on my boyfriend’s lap and we were able to take them back to the house where the girl was staying. That incident definitely made me want to be able to pay it forward whenever I can.

Rainman

I stumbled into this cute news story earlier on. Whilst talking about the kindness of strangers, I think this beautiful story fits here quite well.

It was the birthday of an autistic boy. No one turned up for his party. The mother, hurt, posted something on FB

"my heart is breaking for my son, he keeps asking when will my friends get here?"

Strangers responded to her post. Parents and kids went over to her house . . . with gifts. That in itself would be great. But here's the icing on the cake . . .

The county sheriff's office near her house in St. Cloud, Florida, orchestrated their own gift: A flyover from the the sheriff's helicopter . . . Deputies bought Glenn more presents, and, the next week, sheriff's cars, police dogs and fire trucks paid him a visit at the same time.

- CBS News

Lovely stuff :)

lushlala

This is such a heart warming story, thanks a lot for posting Diane Lane :) It just goes to show that there are still decent people out there! It's especially touching because you can tell that this guy didn't do it for the applause, he did it out of the kindness of his heart! God bless him :)

Josie

Love this. There are many good people out there.. I wish the news covered more people like him, no matter how small in comparison to the rest of the evil they shove down our throats.

IshieVonDyson

Aww, both are sweet stories indeed! I love reading stories of people leaving huge tips, and also how kind of those officers to take the time to rescue that cat. I hope the owner is located soon, or if there isn’t an owner, someone can take the cat in. Kudos all around.

Also, I think Pussington Post is my new favorite site.

FuZyOn

Very interesting stories, guys! Those really leave you with some things to think about.
I think that this society is so "busy" with themselves sometimes they forget about others' feelings and so on. We should be kind and respectful to everyone that steps foot along our path, they are a part of our journey! :)

IshieVonDyson

A bittersweet story indeed. What a lovely thing for their community and local businesses to do for them. It would be extra awesome to hear that she beat the odds, I agree, but they have this happy memory now, which is wonderful.

Diane Lane

Yes, definitely @IshieVonDyson, and sometimes now is all we get, so it's a good reminder to celebrate while we can, and be thankful for those in our lives, and what we've been given.

bala

I did read a few articles and was pretty impressed with the love people have for animals.I mean it is good that they have that element of concern.Earlier though ppl never really cared.I think they do,now because of these organizations giving the awareness and the laws that have been enforced.
Just feel so,never really can ascertain the sudden changes.

mairj23

Really good to see something positive. It seems like all the news these days are pure negative. It's really good to see that there is still some good people out there among all of the chaos.