Presence in hospital

js85

Over the weekend I had to take my dad to the ER for dehydration and a bacterial infection, and I was surprised at the number of cops in the ER! There was one major 'incident' that brought in three patients (it sounded like a barfight - I was eavesdropping!) but even an hour or two before that there were a lot of cops hanging around. Is that normal? Or was there something bigger going on there?

DancingLady

Sounds like there may have been an incident. It may not have been a major crime, but perhaps there was a fight of some sort and people involved had to go to the ER. I have never seen cops at a hospital myself, so I'm guessing it was because someone was being arrested but had an injury that needed to be taken care of.

Patrick

What hospital were you at? If it was a major hospital it might be likely that police were there due to incidents which require medical attention (either for their colleagues, perpetrators, or bystanders). The incidents might not necessarily have been related, it's just the sheer number of medical cases going through a major hospital might make it likely that multiple police officers can be seen around the ER room at times.

js85

We have two hospitals in our city, but neither are the "main"/major one. At first I did think maybe there was an incident involving a police officer, but I didn't see them sticking around one room, just kind of wandering. There was an incident with a man in the ER who was yelling, then he was walked away by a police officer for awhile then returned alone (without the officer), so I'm not sure what that was about. I've been in the ER 3 times but I never saw as many police officers as this last time, but it just seemed odd that there wasn't anything specific, just walking around.

januz101

Who knows? Maybe a high profile convict got injured for some reason and they are guarding and securing the place. Either way we can never really know what is the commotion is all about. Cops have their own discression and we are in no place to ask questions fron them.

js85

I know. I'm not asking specific details, I wouldn't do that knowing there's such thing as privacy. I'm asking this forum, meant for asking police officers things, if it's normal to have a heavy presence in a hospital or not.