Problems from legalizing marijuana

DancingLady

There is a big move to legalize marijuana, even though the drug alters the mind and can result in impaired judgement. It was obviously made illegal in the first place for a reason. What problems do you see with marijuana becoming legal?

Personally I see a dramatic increase in people driving while on it making erratic decisions behind the wheel. Also more availability will only increase the incidence of kids not doing well in school or even dropping out because of drug use.

Mackmax

I can see the driving being an issue, but I certainly don't think that driving while under the influence of marijuana will cause nearly as many accidents as driving under the influence of alcohol does. And actually, kids will probably be less likely to use it if it is legalized. If it is legalized, it will certainly have a strict age limit, so dealers and stores can only sell it to adults, or else they will face consequences, therefore they would no longer sell it to children the way they do now.
I don't see many issues with marijuana being legalized, really. I find that the reasons as to why we should legalize marijuana far outnumber the reasons why we shouldn't, and I definitely think that those who oppose marijuana need to get with it.

missbishi

I think that marijuana should definitely be legalized but there should be the same restrictions on it's sale as alcohol or cigarettes. Similarly, it should be prohibited to drine a car while you are stoned out of your mind. How would the police measure how baked you are though? It's not like they can do a breath test and it affects everyone in different ways.

Legalization would free up so much police time. There is also the added bonus that the government could tax it. This revenue could then be used for police work, schools and healthcare. What's not to like?

Rainman

What I fear, and trust me I've seen the effects of marijuana is that we'll have more people suffering from mental illnesses.
Several studies have linked marijuana use to increased risk for mental illnesses, including psychosis (schizophrenia), depression, and anxiety . . .
Using marijuana and other substances usually makes someone go loco. It can be temporary or permanent. Those who are for the legalization of the drug fail to tell the entire truth. Used in moderation I'll have to admit marijuana can be beneficial to someone but overuse it and you'll lose your mind. Literally.

Profit5500

I can see the driving being an issue, but I certainly don't think that driving while under the influence of marijuana will cause nearly as many accidents as driving under the influence of alcohol does. And actually, kids will probably be less likely to use it if it is legalized. If it is legalized, it will certainly have a strict age limit, so dealers and stores can only sell it to adults, or else they will face consequences, therefore they would no longer sell it to children the way they do now.
I don't see many issues with marijuana being legalized, really. I find that the reasons as to why we should legalize marijuana far outnumber the reasons why we shouldn't, and I definitely think that those who oppose marijuana need to get with it.
Besides the alcohol being an issue in driving the marijuana users would probably have a license to use the marijuana. Making the marijuana legal would just be helping the people who believe in marijuana. If marijuana does get legalized then I would see more smokers smoking marijuana then cigarettes.

Rosyrain

There are 2 main concerns I have with marijuana being legal. I have a problem, like many of you mentioned with people driving while they are "stoned." Marijuana impairs a person's ability to act in a rational manner, much like alcohol does. It slows most people down, and they would not be able to make quick and critical decisions behind the wheel. The 2nd problem I see is people going to work high and putting their co workers lives in danger. The smell of marijuana can be hidden much more quickly than the smell of alchohol and the only way to physically tell if someone is high on marijuana (other than behavior) is to look for bloodshot eyes.

mrsbright

There are 2 main concerns I have with marijuana being legal. I have a problem, like many of you mentioned with people driving while they are "stoned." Marijuana impairs a person's ability to act in a rational manner, much like alcohol does. It slows most people down, and they would not be able to make quick and critical decisions behind the wheel. The 2nd problem I see is people going to work high and putting their co workers lives in danger. The smell of marijuana can be hidden much more quickly than the smell of alchohol and the only way to physically tell if someone is high on marijuana (other than behavior) is to look for bloodshot eyes.

To be honest, it might make them more slow, but marijuana also make people hyper-aware in an almost paranoid sort of way. Also, the more used someone is to it, the less it affects the abilities. Not saying people should drive while stoned, just noting that studies have shown variable results from stoned driving.

What would I see to be the consequences of legalization?
Well, it would free up some tax money and rake more of it in; it would free up some jail cells, some police time, some court procedures.
Ethical bonus of stopping to arrest and harrass people who chose to do a pretty much harmless drug.

I would think that people in dangerous jobs would know better than to get stoned. And I would have no problem with a janitor smoking some weed -- it looks like a pretty boring and annoying job, so if the person can have a joint and enjoy the work, then all the best for him/her.

I'm pretty lax with these things and I don't believe that just because something was made illegal that would be the proof that it should stay illegal. If you look up the actual reasons of this ban, then you might also agree that many of them have been disproved.

Only thing: not to be sold to people under eighteen. Because science showed that it helped develop "addictive patterns" if consumed early, and it might have impacts on the brain and all. After eighteen, I'd consider that if you can drink, smoke evil tobacco and vote, you should be responsible enough to make decisions for yourself and smoke or not some weed, whatever.

bala

It should be legalized.If common sense prevailed, pot would of been legal 40 years ago, saving billions of dollars and thousands of poor souls being locked up and having to live with a criminal record and maybe just one of those poor souls.the greatest increase in pot consumption goes to the senior crowd of Americans who are 60 something..What has the govt got to say..?

sillylucy

I think the scariest thing for me is people driving while under the influence. You can't really take a THC test and if they have low levels of THC is means they are more baked then if they just hit it. How do we keep our roads safe?

Owl

It does really amazing things for the economy, at least. And god knows we need something to help the economy.

The car accidents do terrify me, though. The roads are dangerous enough as is without another thing clouding people's minds.

Kittyworker

I don't think we have to worry about people driving while under the influence of Marijuana. People already do it and drive while drunk. I don't expect to see an upswing in people driving while under the influence. Perhaps in a year or two the data from states who have legalized it will be available and can provide insight on whether or not there actually was an upswing.

mrsbright

I think the scariest thing for me is people driving while under the influence. You can't really take a THC test and if they have low levels of THC is means they are more baked then if they just hit it. How do we keep our roads safe?

The thing is, the quantity in the blood does not matter. Studies proved it. Unlike alcohol, where the amount found on the breath or the blood would mean that the driver would be affected the same regardless of how old or young or how much he usually drinks -- meaning, the amount found is an absolute measure of not being able to drive safely. Whereas with weed, even if you could pinpoint exactly how much a person has smoked, it would not be a good indicator, seeing as if it would be the first time, just a little bit of weed would seriously affect the person, whereas if the person has been smoking the last ten years, to smoke even a decent quantity would not impair their cognitive functions. So with weed, it is relative. To make the normal tests checking cognitive functions (standing on one foot, walking a straight line, etc) is the only fair test to make in this case.

LitoLawless

I think that marijuana being legalized will be a great thing. I think that driving under the influence will be a big issue. I also think that the price of marijuana will also be an issue. Once they tax the drug, it will be really hard for the people that need it to get a hold of it.

ThatGuyWithTheHat

I'd rather share the road with stoners than drunks. How's that old saying go? A drunk will run a stop-sign, but a pot-head will wait for it to turn green. LOL Cracks me up every time.