Proposed Federal Laws For NYPD Training

Rainman

Just but a few of them:

- Interactions with average citizens shouldn't be confrontational.

- Keep in mind when you . . . question someone you're letting them know that you think they've done something wrong . . . and should expect them to resent that.

- Tell a person why you stopped them or else they'll believe your action was arbitrary.

- Avoid expressing stereotypical assumptions.

- Do not imitate speech patterns of others. This will appear . . . racist.

- Don't be racist, sexist, etc.

- Don't tell sexist jokes.

And many more . . .

missbishi

You'd think that these should be guidelines for behavior anyway wouldn't you! especially the one about not being racist. It comes to something when cops have to be reminded not to be discriminatory.

Rainman

You'd think that these should be guidelines for behavior anyway wouldn't you! especially the one about not being racist. It comes to something when cops have to be reminded not to be discriminatory.
Do you think trying not to be racist would make someone turn out to be racist just because they are trying too hard not to? I think it would have been better to tell cops to treat others the way they'd like to be treated if they[the cops] were in [the perp or suspect]'s shoes. Simplify the rules :)

Gabe

These guidelines seem to a result of concerns of public perception rather than behaviors. It's about being politically correct and making sure that the public have no ammunition against them. Some need to be told what is now politically correct because society changes, in how to address people, like ma'am or sir regardless of whether they are a drunk or someone that is resisting arrest.

thegrey1

This is all more PC BS! Where I live, in the "racist south," according to some braindead politicians, the cops are always polite. They call everybody Ma'am, or Sir, and treat all races equally. The only people I know who have trouble with the police are the illegals, who are constantly drunk in public, and destroying property, and the usual criminal types. No citizen is hassled because of his race. This is just another band-aid solution that doesn't accomplish anything.

missbishi

Do you think trying not to be racist would make someone turn out to be racist just because they are trying too hard not to? I think it would have been better to tell cops to treat others the way they'd like to be treated if they[the cops] were in [the perp or suspect]'s shoes. Simplify the rules :)

Do you know, I think it could. I am reminded of that episode of "Fawlty Towers" where Basil is constantly reminding himself not to talk about WWII in front of his German guests! But, yes, a simple "If you're OK with me, I'll be OK with you" could well help.

DancingLady

Now you have to define what being racist or sexist is. Some people will interpret something that way that was not meant that way at all. I think you need to focus on how to express and act in a respectful manner toward a person, of any race, gender, style, ect. for just being a person. If officers could really internalize that every single individual they ever come into contact with is infinitely valuable, not matter what they are suspected of having done, I think it would go a long way toward helping them treat everyone with the respect they deserve and probably reduce violence a lot.

missbishi

Now you have to define what being racist or sexist is. Some people will interpret something that way that was not meant that way at all.

Interesting point, there do need to be clear guidelines on what is and is not acceptable. Of couse, some people will have held certain beliefs all thier lives and may not realize that they are not majority views.