Protests in NY over chokehold death

Patrick

While not as serious as Ferguson rioting/looting it looks really bad, and I think we can draw many parallels between the two incidents. Does this have the potential to erupt into something as bad as Ferguson?

Nate5

I don't think so. There are definitely a lot of people outraged over this matter, but compared to the ethnic make-up of Ferguson, it's much less likely. There are definitely protests and tensions would definitely arise, but I highly doubt it will rise to the level of Ferguson.

ally79

Do they have the potential to turn violent like Ferguson? Absolutely. So far though people seem to be controlling themselves. I don't think that either of these situations is going to go away anytime soon though. If there are any more incidents like eithe rof these, this country may have a serious problem.

primalclaws1974

There are several "funny" things about this. Ferguson is tiny compared to NYC. If there were to be violent outbreaks you would think NYC would be where it would happen. I think the incident in Ferguson was justified, because the perpetrator was trying to grab his gun and kill the officer. The situation in NYC, yes the man was resisting arrested, but he was violent or threatening the cops' lives. I think they have more of a right to protest in NYC than Ferguson.

Rainman

New York's Mayor had something to say about how minorities are treated by police in NYC and came under sharp criticism. Maybe he said the truth which is why it offended some people. IMO at times cops do bad things which at that time they though was right. As in the choke hold case maybe the intention might have been to subdue the suspect but the officer got carried away. But we are only hearing one side of the story . . .

greensat

While the Ferguson issue is debatable as there is no video, there is actually a video for this New York Choke-hold death. The man clearly says "I cannot breathe!" in the video, other's argument to this is that, "If you can talk, you can breathe." but that is not how it works, there is still air left in your lungs that allow you to speak.

shilpa123

I think this is a really sad issue that has caused a lot of pain to many people. I am sure that people do not do such things again in their life.*

Onionman

I just hope that lessons are learned from all of this. The whole episode has been very disappointing and pretty scary. But hopefully the history books will see this as a seminal period for race relations and the way that police engage with the public.

hayrake

I haven't been exposed to nearly as much information in the NY chokehold death incident as I have been to the Ferguson incident and so I haven't really formed an opinion on it. From the little I have heard, I'd say it sounds like the protesters of the choke hold incident may well have some more real reason to be concerned, whereas I think the Ferguson incident is a prime example of the complete insanity that race baiters can instigate.
That doesn't mean that I approve rioting and looting in the NY incident. It just means that I think their concern might be more valid; but, as I say, I haven't really made an effort to look into the particulars of that incident at this point.
I wonder, though, if the reactions to the NY incident aren't already greater than they would have been if Ferguson were not such a heated topic these days.
An uneducated guess, yes; but I would say that they are so; and also that what you're seeing in NY is a little spur of what you're seeing in Ferguson. I expect, too, to see more of these little offshoots from the interest in Ferguson before it all dies down.
If it all dies down, seeing that it is in the interests (not necessarily the best interests) of some to keep these things going.

pattycake

While not as serious as Ferguson rioting/looting it looks really bad, and I think we can draw many parallels between the two incidents. Does this have the potential to erupt into something as bad as Ferguson?

Things like that don't usually occur in major US cities like New York.

Kamarsun1

Of course it does, the people are tied of the corruption period. This goes on all the time, and enough is enough. We have to stand up and make this country a safer place. The ones that are suppose to be protecting us have to do their job correctly. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

bala

The more blacks keep committing more crimes than every other race, resisting arrest and attacking cops as well as innocent people....the more America is admitting that BLACK LIVES DON'T really matter all.The harsh reality though.

downsouth

I think maybe the officers used excessive force a bit here. The guy did yell out that he could not breathe and that he had asthma but officers still piled on top of him. It is difficult for cops too right now after Ferguson. A lot of the public are viewing them with increased scrutiny and eager to jump at another mistake made.

downsouth

Of course it does, the people are tied of the corruption period. This goes on all the time, and enough is enough. We have to stand up and make this country a safer place. The ones that are suppose to be protecting us have to do their job correctly. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

I do agree officers need to be evaluated more frequently and taught that if there is no visible threat, then they should not use such brutal methods to subdue a person. This man did not have to die. These officers used excessive force for sure. He was a big black man and whether that was a factor in deciding how the officers went about this..well only they know. Officers need to be protected as well. As long as they follow guidelines and act accordingly they should not be portrayed as monsters by the media if something goes wrong.

Mackmax

I think that this definitely has the potential to rise the same way Ferguson did, especially since there is a video, and New York, is much larger in population than Ferguson. More people, more anger and outrage.

musicmonster

I don't think it would go down the way it went at Fergusson. That's not exactly how New Yorkers do it. But I'm quite sure there would be a little violence involved along the way. It is kind of starting already with a gunman killing a cop in revenge. But I hope it would stop there.

LitoLawless

It's quite interesting to see everything that's going on in the city. Although, I don't know if people are doing it because everyone else is doing it or because people finally found something to stand up for. Either way, I hope that it's something that will not be forgotten like most injustices that happen these days.

weepforsweep

There will be a few more cop shootings because of this. The protests have been mostly civil with a few rude and violent exceptions.