Question about drunk driving charges

askanison

I just read a article about a man who realized he was too drunk to drive and curled up in his backseat and went to sleep. He was arrested for drunk driving later. How does that work exactly. He wasn't driving or even behind the wheel? I could see public drunk charges maybe but not a DUI.

BryanOnAWire

Hey not a cop, but if he had the keys in the ignition, whether or not the car is running or not, he can be arrested for drunk driving. Maybe he had the air or heat on, or the radio playing.

askanison

I guess i could see that in that situation but this man was in his back seat asleep, keys in his pocket with windows cracked to let fresh air in. I would have given the guy a break. I mean at least he did what was right and didn't try to drive.

BryanOnAWire

Yea it seems like he shouldn't have been arrested for drunk driving in that case. As you said, maybe PI, but not drunk driving. He was doing the right thing and he should've been just left alone.

downsouth

He didn't do anything wrong. We don't know if he passed out or consciously went to sleep though.

Ricardo187

As far as I know, unless you're caught -driving-, you can't be charged for it. I find that situation very weird. Either the cop was corrupt or some details are missing in the story.

bala

It was unfair to book him,he didn't even attempt to drive,so a ticket for drunken driving doesn't make sense nor does it befit the "ticketing reason".Oh but we never know if he drove for a distance and dozed off or dozed without driving,if the latter,he ought to be let scot free.

Ricardo187

Yeah he probably was seen driving before. I mean, why would the police even bother to do it for no reason at all? There must be some foundation.