Rainy Conditions

vinceasneed

I have one more question in regards to the speed limit. I have heard that police can pull you over for going any speed they deem too fast if the weather is not good. That seems a little odd to me. If that is the case, there is no way of knowing how fast to go. The speed limit is the only indicator. But I have heard stories of people getting pulled over and they claimed the officer said they were going too fast for the weather even though they under the speed limit. Has anyone heard of that before?

bala

That is because on a wet road,the tires or if its a wet slick,you can speed with ease,so you never know the limit to it.
I haven't tried speeding in rainy conditions,but i reckon this might surely be the reason.

LitoLawless

I've never heard anything like this, but I must say that it makes complete sense. People are more prone to get in accidents when the weather is bad over when the weather is good. If the weather isn't up to par then you shouldn't be driving as if it's a beautiful sunny day outside.

stevesxs9

I've been in bad conditions before where you couldn't see in front of you. So I pull to the side and other people come by going faster than the speed limit. This should be a concern for everyone when it comes to rain and slippery conditions.

Kittyworker

If the officer feels that you're presenting a hazard to other motorists they can pull you over for any reason at all. If you are in a situation where rain has made the road slick and you are speeding (driving fast even under speed limit) through then theres a good chance that you're car will lose traction and you may crash into someone else. Most of the time the police will just pull you over and warn you to slow down.

Muthoni

Actually it is an unwritten rule. When the weather is rainy visibility is limited and thus it is necessary to reduce the speed. A police officer has been trained to make the right judgment. They may just pull you over to instruct you about this not to give you a ticket or arrest you for that matter.

JulianWilliams

Unless they specifically announce that the speed limit is lower when it's raining I have a hard time seeing how they could fine somebody for driving within the designated speed limit. I guess they could put two signs, one for the speed limit for dry conditions and one for when it's raining.

missbishi

I think they are doing the right thing. Slippery conditions are so hazardous and any sensible motorist would reduce their speed accordingly.

ally79

Driving too fast for conditions is a common reason for people to get tickets in rainy, foggy, or icy/snowy weather. It seems like people would know to slow down in those conditions but there are many people who pay little to no attention to them.

Kittyworker

I would say its really a safeguard that you can't sue them if u slide off the road due it to being too slippery in the rain, because you weren't "driving to the conditions". You are right though it isn't really care. Honestly IMO I think speed limits are a bit silly, because they are broken so often. There should be a minimum speed limit.

shilpa123

I do not think there is a speed limit especially for rainy season. I think it all depends on the kind of country you are living.

oraclemay

Being fined for reckless driving in the rain may be a good thing as those drivers may be more cautious in future. This may help to prevent the many terrible vehicle accidents that commonly occur in bad weather. Reducing the speed limits for bad weather may be worth considering. People who are unable to drive slow should not drive in bad weather as it can be very dangerous for themselves and others.

megankl

I agree with being able to pull them over. People need to be smart and drive according to the road conditions. If the speed limit is 70 kmh and it is a snow blizzard/heavy rain out. It is best not to obviously drive that fast in those conditions. Therefore I think it would be fine for an officer to pull someone over. ANYTIME someone else's life is in danger it is okay!

missbishi

Yes Kittyworker, I think there should be a minimum speed too! Going too slow causes plenty of accidents, particularly with regards to overtaking. Drivers need to have a certain amount of confidence in their abilities and their vehicles.

DancingLady

It ought to be common sense to slow down in bad weather if the road is slick or visibility is poor. If you are going faster than is safe, they may pull you over to give you a warning that you must heed the weather and slow down for everyone's safety. If everyone else on the road is going slower because of heavy rain or snow or fog and you are going the speed limit, that isn't safe.

shilpa123

I think rainy conditions are seen almost everywhere. Also the people have quite a lot of trouble doing something in rainy days. . I believe that rainy conditions can turn out to be disastrous in some situations.