Recognition and Appreciation

Diane Lane

Do you feel appreciated for the work that you do, and do you believe that the general public recognizes how difficult and dangerous the job has become?

Rainman

I don't think that many cops expect their community to be grateful for the work they do, keeping them all safe.

I think that in time "The National Law Enforcement Day" will change people's attitudes. People are requested to, on the day:
* Wear blue clothing in support of law enforcement
* Send a card of support to your local police department or state agency
* Share a positive story about a positive law enforcement experience on social media
* Ask children in your community to write letters in support of law enforcement
* Participate in Project Blue Light. Proudly display your blue light in support of law enforcement
* Most importantly, if you see a police officer, thank a police officer

At least once a year, LEOs will feel they are appreciated for the work they do.

Diane Lane

Yes, thanks, those are all great suggestions. I do many of those things, and see many (like-minded) others doing them, as well. I wonder if a traveling Law Enforcement Memorial would help? I see stories of the traveling Vietnam Wall, and people seem to be moved by it, but, unfortunately, those are probably the people who fought, loved those who fought, and welcomed the troops back with enthusiasm, not the ones who berated them. In my opinion, the way the returning troops from Vietnam were treated is exactly how some treat the police these days. I've been to both the Vietnam and Law Enforcement Memorials in DC, and am always moved by them and what they represent.