Regular drinking while on duty in Mexico

primalclaws1974

I recently heard that in Mexico the local police sit in bars, in uniform and drink until drunk. They don't try to hide it, and sometimes don't leave until the bar closes, completely ignoring their job. There is no consequence for this, as they are the "supreme authority" in their town. Is there truth behind this? If there is, is it the local police taking advantage of no one checking up on them or are the rules and laws so relaxed down there that no one cares their officers are drunk and not doing their job?

blur92

If this is actually happening I would think they are taking advantage of not being checked on. There is no way any police force allows that kind of behavior. In fact, virtually any type of occupation would forbid it. This is ridiculous.

mrsbright

Interesting. And not really contradicting other impressions of Mexico -- corruption and high crime levels. I mean if in places like Tijuana so many people get kidnapped, it's probably that cops don't really work overtime....!

Rainman

The residents of New Mexico have a huge drinking problem. It wouldn't surprise me therefore if police officers drink as much as everyone else whether they are on duty or not.

primalclaws1974

The residents of New Mexico have a huge drinking problem. It wouldn't surprise me therefore if police officers drink as much as everyone else whether they are on duty or not.

I wasn't talking about New Mexico. I have spent time in New Mexico, and I found the people very friendly and helpful. I didn't see a bigger alcohol problem there than any other part of the country. I know that this post might be a little insulting to Mexicans, because of the stereotype. You were doing the same thing with New Mexicans. People would probably also disagree with what I wrote about Mexicans.

mrsbright

I wasn't talking about New Mexico. I have spent time in New Mexico, and I found the people very friendly and helpful. I didn't see a bigger alcohol problem there than any other part of the country. I know that this post might be a little insulting to Mexicans, because of the stereotype. You were doing the same thing with New Mexicans. People would probably also disagree with what I wrote about Mexicans.

Of course people would disagree with what you write about Mexicans, like anyone would disagree about any blanket stereotypical statement about a complete group of people because it is never that anything applies to a complete group of people.

But in places were there is a lot of poverty and social problems, alcohol is a common poison. As opposed to societies like ours where there is a lot of alcoholism, but also other drugs because people try to find meaning and joy in their empty lives and all.

I'm not sure there is much we can do to help Mexico out, though.

tanker

In developing countries you learn not to go to the police when you get into trouble. Most likely the cops there are getting the beers for free from the bar. No matter how bad cops are in America, you learn that compared to developing country cops, they are saints. I am not at all surprised.

primalclaws1974

Of course people would disagree with what you write about Mexicans, like anyone would disagree about any blanket stereotypical statement about a complete group of people because it is never that anything applies to a complete group of people.

But in places were there is a lot of poverty and social problems, alcohol is a common poison. As opposed to societies like ours where there is a lot of alcoholism, but also other drugs because people try to find meaning and joy in their empty lives and all.

I'm not sure there is much we can do to help Mexico out, though.

I wasn't generalizing an entire people. It wasn't as if I was saying "all Mexicans sit around and get drunk all day instead of working". This was a lot more specific. The United States has no worse drug or alcohol problem than any other place in the world. Name a country, and I can name at least one poison that is deteriorating it's society. It is HUMAN nature to destroy ourselves.

primalclaws1974

In developing countries you learn not to go to the police when you get into trouble. Most likely the cops there are getting the beers for free from the bar. No matter how bad cops are in America, you learn that compared to developing country cops, they are saints. I am not at all surprised.

I have to agree with you. It seems people are always putting down America and it's problems, but by comparison, we have it really decent around here. I could name a dozen countries that are well-known for corrupt police and government. The USA may not be perfect, but our government and police are nor corrupt to the core.

Profit5500

I recently heard that in Mexico the local police sit in bars, in uniform and drink until drunk. They don't try to hide it, and sometimes don't leave until the bar closes, completely ignoring their job. There is no consequence for this, as they are the "supreme authority" in their town. Is there truth behind this? If there is, is it the local police taking advantage of no one checking up on them or are the rules and laws so relaxed down there that no one cares their officers are drunk and not doing their job?
Every country is different and the thing is that these people can do certain things and get by with it. In the USA you would be removed for being drunk on the job. I try to wonder why other countries are not as strict with the consequences for the officers actions while on the job that are inappropriate. If you are a cop you should always remind yourself that you sweared the oath before taking on the job do not screw it over.

stevesxs9

I couldn't confirm this one way or the other. But I would think they would have a huge amount of car wrecks when going to answer calls. Putting innocent people as well as their own lives in grave danger. That's providing they're not too drunk to drive in the first place.

shilpa123

This should never happen and is totally crazy. Who exactly will the civilian if these people act so stupidly. I do not understand why such things are happening.

musicmonster

This is absolutely not acceptable. They should be more responsible with their job and it would even cost their life if they continue to do it. They should wake up and think about their work ethics.