Relationships?

ABC123

Is it difficult to find a relationship partner, since a police officer lives a more dangerous life then some? Personally, I could not be married to an officer. I would always be worried he that he may not come home one day. Or that some crook will have something against he and do something to me and our family?

missbishi

This subject crops up quite frequently. I'm not sure what I would do personally. I'd be too worried in case he either got shot or shot someone else! I know it's propbaly just a job to them but it's really rather risky and I'm not certain my nerves could take it.

Peachdejour

I know people who have dated cops. It's not easy. I know there were issues with PTSD and trust issues to contend with and some couples counseling involved. It's just like being with anyone in a high stress job, you have to be the rock at home.

kana_marie

Banned
Is it difficult to find a relationship partner, since a police officer lives a more dangerous life then some? Personally, I could not be married to an officer. I would always be worried he that he may not come home one day. Or that some crook will have something against he and do something to me and our family?
I am in total agreement. It's a shame because they deserve to find love as much, if not more than everyone else. But the worry would give me ulcers.

missbishi

I am in total agreement. It's a shame because they deserve to find love as much, if not more than everyone else. But the worry would give me ulcers.

I imagine that plenty of cops would marry other cops. We know that a large percentage of couples meet at work so it won't be any different for LEOs. I think the advantage would be that they will understand each others problems and won't worry quite so much when the other one is on duty.

FuZyOn

Hmm, it really depends on what type of personality you have. I've seen a lot of people date cops and not care about the probability of dying, because it would happen anyway to anyone at anytime and you can't really stop it.
I've also seen people that refused to be with a cop for the exact reason you have.

JoanMcWench

Maybe this question should be amended with 'serious' before the relationship part of it. Only because it's rare I see a single officer or a cop bar that isn't frequently overrun with women. I've noticed that female officers have a harder time establishing relationships but that's for a number of reasons which also explain why they date in house more often.

dyanmarie25

Same as you, I can't imagine being married to a cop. Don't get me wrong, I highly respect them and their job to serve and secure people is quite heroic, but their lives are always in danger. I don't want to become a widow at a young age.

Rainman

Supposing a cop doesn't talk about their job where they are off-duty? How would the person they ask out for a date know s/he is a cop? Wouldn't he or she get someone get to love him/her eventually and decide to stick by him/her "for better or [for] worse" when the time comes?

Profit5500

It is probably best to find a soul mate within the police force. It is hard for a cop to have a stable relationship with people outside the force. Mainly since the wife or girlfriend cannot handle their lover risking their life to save other people.

Josie

I always stayed away from relationships with people in dangerous professions. I did come very close once, but I just couldn't follow through with it.. I am not one to invite stress into my life and this would top that list when it comes to relationships.