Resigning and rejoining

Gabe

Many people resign from jobs and then want to reapply and join again after trying another career or if they take a break. Is this possible for a police officer? Would they have to start from the beginning again or would the level the left at still carry any weight?

I expect it would be hard to have been a detective or sergeant and then start all over again if you wanted to rejoin.

missbishi

I expect it would be hard to have been a detective or sergeant and then start all over again if you wanted to rejoin.

Definitely, especially if you've had to rejoin at a lower rank. I can imagine that previous subordinates who have since been promoted might take advantage of this situation if relations had previously been frosty. I have known cops who have taken a sabbatical but never any who have left completely then rejoined at a later date.

Gabe

I do have a feeling there is a period where people can take a sabbatical or a leave of absence without losing their rank. It may depend on the length of service, but I think most like to keep people in the force and give them time to study or maybe to recover from an incident.