Retired Police Officer Murders Daughters, Self

Rainman

A policeman, recently retired, murdered two of his daughters aged 17 and 13 before ending his life.

Glen Hochman, 52, [had] retired from the White Plains police force last month

The motive for the brutal killings is yet to be determined.

Retired police officer kills daughters, self in N.Y. suburb: reports

Makes you wonder why someone would want to kill his daughters for. If he had issues and felt killing himself would be the solution, why take others along with him?

stevesxs9

I know others will probably take a different view on this, but I just don't understand why people have to commit murder before they take their own life. If it gets to the point where nothing else matters and life is unbearable then just take your own life and leave everyone else alone. Because regardless of how you feel about yourself, the other person wants to live the rest of their life for as long as God intends.

Gabe

You hear these sad tales of parents killing their children and often it is because of an estranged spouse. They want to punish them and to take away the children which is so cruel, because a child isn't a possession, though under the law until they are 18 years old they are under the parental supervision. I do think people need to consider the mental stability of others and help them. My thoughts go out to the innocent girls and their friends and his family as he needed help and none was there.

JoanMcWench

There has been an upsurge in off duty cops being shot in & around Chicago as of late. Not sure why that is but it's never something you want to hear. Especially sad when the officer puts in all that time on the streets only to retire & be murdered.

jeremy2

That was deeply saddening and my thoughts and prayers are with the family of the deceased. It's difficult to comprehend why a veteran cop could turn the gun to his very own flesh and blood. Whatever motive he had, that wasn't the solution.Kids should never be used to settle scores.

ally79

There has been an upsurge in off duty cops being shot in & around Chicago as of late. Not sure why that is but it's never something you want to hear. Especially sad when the officer puts in all that time on the streets only to retire & be murdered.

I think this is related to the anti-cop sentiment going on around the country. There are even Facebook groups of people who say that they want to murder a police man as a result of Ferguson and other police involved shootings of citizens. Back to the topic of the thread that is a really sad story. I wonder if he killed the girls becuase he thought there wouldn't be anyone to care for them?

missbishi

Other articles on the story claim that the Hochmans were having "marital difficulties" so it may be the case that he killed them out of spite or desparation. The change in daily life that retirement would have brought might not have helped his mental state either.

pandabear1991

This is another case that makes me firmly believe Mental Health for law enforcement and military personnel should be a must, regardless of how "okay" they seem. In all reality, officers and military personal do have too much responsibility, despite their wages. Could everyone easily make a daily thought transaction from, how to make an arrest for a well known hostile/violent felon, to what can my wife and I do tonight with the kids that will make tonight special? Their jobs can eventually harm their mentality, and those who try to help or explain to the sick person that they feel mental health is needed, probably fear for their lives about how that person will handle someone else insisting the help is needed.

I do have a very close friend who has a military veteran husband who has held a gun to her, more times than my fingers and toes can mention. When she did try to insist the help, or tried to ask for law enforcement help, even law enforcement chummed up with this mentally sick man, simply because they "knew him" instead of looking at her videos of what he was doing in their house, or the evidence in the house of the damage he was doing. This man buys illegal drugs on a daily basis (pain killers, cocaine, opiates etc.) and takes his own prescribed meds more than needed. When his wife tried to consult his doctor and seek the help he needed, there was no one to enforce it.

When she got a protection order from court (with the thanks of the town's best attorney) her case was still treated like a joke. Her husband often threatened her on the property, often sent friends to the property to threaten, shoot at her dogs, and check up on her--and whats more, he had been sleeping with an 18 year old girl (42 yr old military veteran) and yet getting pills/treatment for erectile dysfunction. The fact that she caught her husband red handed with this girl in their own house is what caused her to want a divorce, instead of trying to keep working on his issues that he completely ignored. She wanted him to get help, but after 4 years of trying, what more can you do?

His case and many more make me feel that mental health for our law enforcement/military personnel should be a must by state certified doctors, not an as needed basis for their buddy doctor who will prescribe everything he wants. They are serving to protect, but they are also trained to have a thought process that can become very dangerous to themselves, especially once inactive. I am in no way trying to bash law enforcement or military personnel, I genuinely have the best interest for them and their loved ones in mind.

marcamm

This is horrible! It's just so unfair to the kids! Committing suicide is horrid enough, why take two more innocent lives? What's worse is that they're his own kids!

Taking someone's life, even if it is your own is a great sin against God. Taking two more is unforgivable. God is the only one who can take it away because He's the one who created us.

mrsbright

This is another case that makes me firmly believe Mental Health for law enforcement and military personnel should be a must, regardless of how "okay" they seem. In all reality, officers and military personal do have too much responsibility, despite their wages. Could everyone easily make a daily thought transaction from, how to make an arrest for a well known hostile/violent felon, to what can my wife and I do tonight with the kids that will make tonight special? Their jobs can eventually harm their mentality, and those who try to help or explain to the sick person that they feel mental health is needed, probably fear for their lives about how that person will handle someone else insisting the help is needed.

I do have a very close friend who has a military veteran husband who has held a gun to her, more times than my fingers and toes can mention. When she did try to insist the help, or tried to ask for law enforcement help, even law enforcement chummed up with this mentally sick man, simply because they "knew him" instead of looking at her videos of what he was doing in their house, or the evidence in the house of the damage he was doing. This man buys illegal drugs on a daily basis (pain killers, cocaine, opiates etc.) and takes his own prescribed meds more than needed. When his wife tried to consult his doctor and seek the help he needed, there was no one to enforce it.

When she got a protection order from court (with the thanks of the town's best attorney) her case was still treated like a joke. Her husband often threatened her on the property, often sent friends to the property to threaten, shoot at her dogs, and check up on her--and whats more, he had been sleeping with an 18 year old girl (42 yr old military veteran) and yet getting pills/treatment for erectile dysfunction. The fact that she caught her husband red handed with this girl in their own house is what caused her to want a divorce, instead of trying to keep working on his issues that he completely ignored. She wanted him to get help, but after 4 years of trying, what more can you do?

His case and many more make me feel that mental health for our law enforcement/military personnel should be a must by state certified doctors, not an as needed basis for their buddy doctor who will prescribe everything he wants. They are serving to protect, but they are also trained to have a thought process that can become very dangerous to themselves, especially once inactive. I am in no way trying to bash law enforcement or military personnel, I genuinely have the best interest for them and their loved ones in mind.

I think in professions where you are required to be at your top game all the time, you learn to cope in many different - and sometimes very unhealthy ways -- and so when someone is falling deeper down, the colleagues will cut him/her some slack because they think they know the feeling and they don't want to make it worse for the person, not realizing that it's not a case of "snitching" or "betraying" but of seriously helping someone. It's like they're all scared of being vulnerable, so they do this and protect each other until something really bad happens. Also happens a lot in the medical sectors -- lot of pressure, you are taught to repress it and fake your way through ever since you're a student and so you just fake it until you make it... but sometimes you just don't, you crack.

dyanmarie25

Obviously, this man wasn't in his right mind. I feel really sad for those two teenage girls. They had a wonderful life ahead of them, they would have had a bright future if this didn't happen, but with one mistake of their father, all their dreams and goals had faded away. It's really frustrating.