Rylan Salzman, 16, arrested for allegedly killing his dad

Anthony

Super Moderator
Rylan Salzman.jpg

Tacoma, Washington: Rylan Salzman, 16, was charged with murder on Friday for allegedly killing his father. Salzman called 911 Tuesday and told operators that he’d killed his dad. "I'm calling to confess to a killing", Rlyan said. "And who did you kill?" the operator asks. "My father," Rylan answered.

He then told them he buried him in the backyard of the family’s house. "He's outside. In a container of sorts," he says. "We'd both been drinking some, and there was a confrontation," he says calmly. "I said something to him, told him to stop and he shoved me." "I had a cane in my hand at the time. I needed I promise it wasn't premeditated or anything. But I had been drinking and I just started swinging." Rylan also added, "We had a conflicted childhood, past, a conflicted past. It was sort of a tipping point."

Police confirmed they found the body of Richard Salzman, 49, in a wooden composting box. Included in the box was a cut-up bicycle. There was also kitty litter, a cane, oil and dirt was spread out throughout the box. The teen allegedly used the cane to bash his dad in the head, police said.
Richard was last heard from on Friday night. Rylan allegedly told his mom that his father went for a ride on his bicycle shortly after midnight Saturday. His wife, Louise Salzman reported him missing on Saturday afternoon.

On Tuesday, Louise was planning to put a search party together for her husband. Rylan asked her not to call police. Louise pressed Rylan why he didn't want her to call the police, he eventually confessed to killing his dad, prosecutors said. Rylan then called police and confessed killing his father, prosecutors say.

The beating was so severe that dental records had to be used to identify Mr Salzman after his remains were found, prosecutors said. "This is a strange case of patricide," Pierce County prosecutor Mark Lindquist said. "We may never know the motive, but we have all we need to prove the case, including a confession."

Rylan Salzman is now being held on $1 million bail. He has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder charges.