Serial Killer From Your Own Area

Rhoda D'Ettore

Do you remember having a serial killer in your own area? Did it shock or terrify you to find it on the news? Who was it?

I live in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area and when I was a kid, Gary Heidnick was a lunatic who imprisoned women in his basement in Philadelphia. He even fed the surviving women the flesh of the ones he already killed. The killer from Silence of the Lambs, Buffalo Bill, was supposed to be a combination of Heidnick, Ted Bundy, and Ed Gein--- two more depraved lunatics.

Another killer who came through my area was Andrew Cunanan. He went on a nationwide killing spree, and ended up in Florida killing clothing designer Versaci.

I remember panic ensued. People were afraid to go out and trusting your neighbor was difficult for quite some time.

Patrick

I have been fortunate enough to not have a serial killer near where I live, though I certainly would feel very uneasy if I had heard of one in the vicinity. I don't think it's right to change your lifestyle just because of this though, the vast majority of your neighbors are much more likely to be decent human beings.

Muthoni

I do not know about a serial killer in my region because I was brought up in the village. The rate of crime is not as high as in the city. I was however surprised to learn that a relative of ours had on more than one occasion hired people to kill my parents. I thank God that He protected them on the two occasions they attacked. The relative even had the audacity to come visit my dad after he was injured by the thugs he sent. A man who came to rescue my dad was killed by these thugs.

Peninha

I can't recall any serial killer from my area, but these cases don't appear much in the media in my country, and I find this good, this way they don't get the attention they desire.

Gin0710

Remember Ted Bundy? Well, it turns out my grand ma was his mom's next door neighbor and they were friends. My mom, aunts and uncles lived in the house at the time as well. Though he was already in college by that time, but it's a little chilling to know my mom's family had such close ties with his family. Also my town (and state) are where serial killers are made. The Green River Killer, DC Sniper, Ted Bundy...serial killer capital of the country. I'm sure there are more, but those are the few I can name on the top of my head.

Rhoda D'Ettore

I was in high school when Bundy was executed. I'll never forget the chant "na na, na na na na, Ted Bundy, You'll Fry". He was one sick pup who kept escaping. The judge at his sentencing basically told him "you'd have made a great attorney but you went the wrong way". People often forget he went to law school.

When I visited Seattle, the first thing my mom said was "There's serial killers there!" Did you know The Green River Killer, Ridgeway, stopped killing when he got married and was happy? He started killing again when his marriage got bumpy.

askanison

No serial killers near me, but there were a couple of attacks in our area that turned out to be one crazy guy that lived in the area. He had tried to kidnap a few different teen girls walking home late at night. His fifth try got him beat up by the kids dad who was at home and saw the incident. The dad chased him down and gave him the beating of his life. Who knows what may have happened if he had gotten one kidnapped.

GlacialDoom

Never had a serial killer around here, hell, there have only been a few crimes in my city the past few years. Pretty peaceful zone I'm living in.

bala

Nopes...there never has been one.There have been crimes but those guys have all been apprehended and might still be in judicial custody.How has it been with you and why is that the govt lets them do it on a spree..??
No measures taken..??

Josie

The closest I can think of is Karla Hamolka and Paul Bernardo. They didn't live in my home town, but my province.. not too far from us. They kidnapped, raped and murdered girls from their area and the whole thing started with Karla's own sister, who she "gave" to Paul as a Christmas present. A very sick story. Everyone here is furious with the system over it. In the end, she played it like a pro. He's still behind bars when she was the "brains" behind it all and lied her way into a deal that saw her freed and able to move on and start her own family. That woman shouldn't be allowed to have children. At least he's still rotting.

DancingLady

I don't know of any serial killers from my area, but several years ago we had a really creepy murder on a pretty heavily trafficked bike path in town. No one actually saw it or anything that was helpful to the investigation. It has never been solved and the conclusion of most people at this point is that the killer was not even from this area and was just someone passing through who immediately left. I've never used and will never use that bike path for a number of reasons, that being one of them. I think most people have gone back to their normal routines at this point though.

bala

No there aren't any serial killers in my area and in the recent times too there haven't been any cases.Our area follows a beat patrol system by the cops,so there surely won't be chances of a killer being able to commit a crime.

dyanmarie25

That would terrify me a lot, though that sounds a bit exciting. Don't get me wrong, I'm just really a fan of murder mystery and serial killers somehow fascinate me. I know that sounds disturbing, but they just make me curious. Anyway, I would never want any of my family or my friends ever be victimized by a serial killer. Also, I would never want an innocent person be its prey.

mairj23

I never had a serial killer in my town but I've had a murderer. This guy killed a girl in a mobile home 100 yard from my home. Everyone thought he was this sweet guy, as he had everyone fooled. He was later caught in another town, as he fled and he later died in prison. You just never know who the person next door really is.

Rainman

In all the places I've lived, there's never been a serial killer in the neighborhood. Of course there were rumors at one time when a decapitated body was discovered in an abandoned house that he'd been murdered by someone who had killed a few other people elsewhere but no one else was killed and the killer was never caught. So we never really did find out who was responsible for the murder.

Gelsemium

We had an unusual case last year in my area, a man claimed to be the responsible for several killings, but that was never proved, so he ended up being released after some months.

Josie

We had an unusual case last year in my area, a man claimed to be the responsible for several killings, but that was never proved, so he ended up being released after some months.

He clearly wanted to be in custody.. wouldn't it be best to keep him, just in case? That makes no sense to me. He may have rights, but he didn't want them if he owned up to something whether he did it or not. In any case where someone confesses to a crime, it should be guilty until proven innocent, not the other way around lol. How odd.

thegrey1

None im area, but I remember the Karla Hamolka and Paul Bernardo story. That one really disturbed me.I felt like they both were perfect candidates for the death penalty, but got kind of a slap on the wrist, especially Karla!

aparsons

Ontario here too, grew up not to far from this too. My girlfriend's grandparents lived 5 houses down from one of the girls who were abducted. Really scary stuff!

Rosyrain

Remember Ted Bundy? Well, it turns out my grand ma was his mom's next door neighbor and they were friends. My mom, aunts and uncles lived in the house at the time as well. Though he was already in college by that time, but it's a little chilling to know my mom's family had such close ties with his family. Also my town (and state) are where serial killers are made. The Green River Killer, DC Sniper, Ted Bundy...serial killer capital of the country. I'm sure there are more, but those are the few I can name on the top of my head.

You took my thunder away! I am a Washingtonian too and apparently this place is a breeding ground for serial killers. I think there are more with ties to Washington than any other state. I do not have any neighborly ties like you do though, that is super scary that your grandma used to be a neighbor.