I've gotten advice that when I'm stopped on the street or pulled over, I shouldn't reply to questions. But it seems like its not a big deal, especially if I'm not gonna incriminate myself. Also, should I consent to a search? Or should I refuse if there's no warrant or probable cause?

bala

its illegal for a cop to search you with a warrant,at least some other friggin order.Its up to u,because it is all a personal stance at the end.You may wish to co operate or shy away from it.Either way you won't get in trouble,i am pretty sure.
If you really ask me,if i were you i would oblige and let him search,because it only calls for unwanted attention.

Rainman

I think some of those myths propagated by movies and books where police have to read your rights, identify themselves etc, etc are what get people in trouble with the police. It's a lot better to cooperate rather than refuse to, annoy the officer in the process [for questioning his authority] and have him/her get rough. Recently in Hollywood, a black actress was asked to show her ID to the police. She refused to. And what followed?
Actress Daniele Watts, who is black, was handcuffed and detained for kissing her white boyfriend in public.
Count on the media to play the race card any time. Had she complied with the police officer's demand to see her ID, she could have avoided being man-handled. Should a police officer ask you questions [if you haven't committed a crime] then just answer the questions.

milyjohnson

I would think that it wouldn't be a problem to answer a police officer's questions, especially if you didn't do anything wrong. I would allow them to search me too because I know I would be innocent of what they questioning me about at the time. I would think that only guilty people would have a problem with that.

Lin

I've gotten advice that when I'm stopped on the street or pulled over, I shouldn't reply to questions. But it seems like its not a big deal, especially if I'm not gonna incriminate myself. Also, should I consent to a search? Or should I refuse if there's no warrant or probable cause?
The answers to these questions are circumstantial. I don't think you should talk unless necessary. But I believe in being polite and greeting your officers. Maybe your charm will get you out of trouble. However, if you know that you are not guilty, then you have nothing to worry about (especially a search). But then again, you may be on a haste...the police can still search your vehicle without a warrant especially if there are specific illegal substances or material they are looking for at a particular time.

Lin

I think some of those myths propagated by movies and books where police have to read your rights, identify themselves etc, etc are what get people in trouble with the police. It's a lot better to cooperate rather than refuse to, annoy the officer in the process [for questioning his authority] and have him/her get rough. Recently in Hollywood, a black actress was asked to show her ID to the police. She refused to. And what followed? Count on the media to play the race card any time. Had she complied with the police officer's demand to see her ID, she could have avoided being man-handled. Should a police officer ask you questions [if you haven't committed a crime] then just answer the questions.
Indeed, you couldn't have said it better. Co-operation is the key most times. Even when somehow holds you up to rob you, co-operation may be what saves you. In a situation where they want to rape you, that's a different story however. Police have higher authority that ordinary citizens don't have. If we respect that, we will make it through this life. LoL

JoshPosh

Banned
Be polite and cooperative. If you suspect the officer is stepping over his boundries then take note of his badge number and take action at a later time.

They need probable cause to search your vehicle. Know your local laws and when you do suspect the officers are pushing their boundries ask nicely if this is normal procedure. Dont be a defensive dick.

Gelsemium

I think that if we are clean as a whistle we have nothing to hide so we should cooperate fully. If we are making criminal activities what are we expecting?...

januz101

When you are pulled over by a cop it is common courtesy to stop. As they may find your vehicle suspicious and likely ask you some questions. If they ask you to open your compartment of your trunk, you have the right to refuse so. This action right here needs a valid search warrant in order for them to proceed, If they don't have it then you are not obliged to do so. And lastly answer politely and don't just ran away during interrogations as cops can briefly detain you for reasonable suspicion and they are entitled to frisk you for any concealed weapons.

Profit5500

I would think that it wouldn't be a problem to answer a police officer's questions, especially if you didn't do anything wrong. I would allow them to search me too because I know I would be innocent of what they questioning me about at the time. I would think that only guilty people would have a problem with that.
Sometimes it depends on the current situation that involves the individual. Some cases could involve innocent people not wanting to answer the police and were threaten regardless. I would say that there is no law that says that you have to talk to the police.

js85

I think that if we are clean as a whistle we have nothing to hide so we should cooperate fully. If we are making criminal activities what are we expecting?...

I agree. I can see how people get all concerned with privacy and whatnot, but I personally have nothing to hide, especially in the face of the law. If I'm 100% transparent, and have nothing wrong going on, what can they possibly incriminate me for?