Should police be allowed to get overweight?

primalclaws1974

Young patrol cops are generally in good shape. They are fit, wet-behind-the-ears rookies out to prove they can be "super cop". But as the years wane on, some older police start to get fat. This seems especially true with sheriff's departments, but certainly not limited to that. I read an article years back that an old sheriff was so large that they had to modify his car so he could fit in it. That's ridiculous in my view. I think they should lose weight or be fired.

Kamarsun1

I totally agree. Get in shape or lose your job, its that simple. It just doesn't look good to see a sloppy overweight cop. Who is he going to caught?

Nate5

I totally agree. Officers should always be in their most tip-top shape if they want to do their jobs properly. That being said, I understand that stress is definitely a part of the job, and there's often not enough time to eat right or exercise. I'm not too familiar with this, but I hope there are fitness programs for officers, and perhaps perks in gym membership.

pattycake

I've seen some big people who can really move it. In fact, the fastest runner I ever seen up close was a real fat guy. Man that guy was fast, and could outrun the bus. I swear.

Patrick

Ideally yes, however I think it is realistically quite hard to enforce. Overweight police officers might come up with excuses, promise to lose weight and drag out their employment. Also, firing police officers for being overweight would be a drain on resources. It costs money to train new police cadets after all.

SamClemensMT

Fitness as a measure of job performance? If an officer can't function on the job as a result of being overweight, that's a problem. However, if he or she can still do the job, and meet expectation that's another matter. How many NFL linemen are technically obese (I believe that means you're 30% above your lean body weight)? Yet it's desirable to have big guys doing that kind of work. That said, I think it's in everyone's best interest to strive to be fit strictly as a matter of health.

primalclaws1974

Fitness as a measure of job performance? If an officer can't function on the job as a result of being overweight, that's a problem. However, if he or she can still do the job, and meet expectation that's another matter. How many NFL linemen are technically obese (I believe that means you're 30% above your lean body weight)? Yet it's desirable to have big guys doing that kind of work. That said, I think it's in everyone's best interest to strive to be fit strictly as a matter of health.

Even if it is true what you say, that heavyset officers can do their job efficiently (and I am doubting it), part of a cop's duty is to look the part. They must wear a perfectly clean uniform, have their nametag and badge in plain sight, and be well-groomed. But they can be 50 pounds overweight? How does this make sense?

LitoLawless

I think it would be a shame if a guy is denied to be a cop because he is a certain weight. With that being said, I don't think that they would be really useful in a chase, or something that requires strenuous movement. I think cops of all shapes and sizes have their place, and if being a cop is something they want to do, then they should not be denied that right.

downsouth

I mean they shouldn't be overweight but they shouldn't have to be body builders either. If a suspect is running they should be able to run and have a chance at grabbing him or her. They can't be running 10 feet and then holding their chest calling for support. Most of the officers in my area are ripped though. I dunno looks like they are on steroids or something. The only one who is a tad overweight is the chief who sits at the station all day.

SamClemensMT

It would be a progressive measure for police departments to provide a free gym to its officers. Or, as you suggest pay the gym membership fee. However, I maintain that this should be voluntary. You should not be forced to attend a gym to stay in your job. As long as you are fit enough to perform your work, that's good enough. I would however encourage fitness as a more desirable lifestyle for any police officer for a variety of reasons.

soconfused

I think they should lose weight or be fired.[/QUOTE]

so people who risk there lives for us should be constantly in threat of being fired! I didn't particularly like this part, yes they should keep fit so they can be active, they should be given a bracket according to hight and everything so they can remain fit..

My uncle who is a retired Police officer and my uncle who is a retired Port Authority Officer both maintained a healthy weight throughout their careers. I think any officer out in the field , for their own safety, should be healthy enough to move quickly and be able to run a good distance with out becoming winded. Part of the job is having to, at times, chase a perpetrator on foot, if their weight impairs this ability it is putting them at risk in my opinion. I don't think it is something that can be measured in actual numbers on the scale. Routine tests that evaluate physical ability would be a good gauge on if an officers weight is hindering job performance. providing gyms or free gym membership would be, in my opinion, something beneficial but it should not be mandatory. The ability to preform job duties should be mandatory.

Last edited:

missbishi

I don't think there should be rules based on weight, but I do believe that there should be some sort of periodical fitness testing in place. I'm classed as underweight but I know that I could easily be outrun. I'd be useless at chasing criminals. Maybe the police could do more to promote healthy eating and regular exercise amongst its ranks. Staying healthy is essential for your mental wellbeing as well as your physiological health.

Kittyworker

I think it depends on their position/role. For example someone who is SWAT should be expected to be fitter than someone who files cases. All police should be encouraged to "walk the talk" but we shouldn't be so hard on those veterans who have let their stomachs out a bit, as long as it doesn't effect their main role in the force.

shamanas

I think there should be annual/biannual exams (physical as well as psychological) and one of the things tested should definitively be the endurance and speed of an officer.
Of course the limits would be quite difficult to find but not impossible I guess!

mrsbright

I agree with the suggestion of physical tests required to be in the field. Maybe they should also make some psychological tests -- that would sure help pick out the "bad apples" of police brutality and help with spotting signs of depression (I mean, the amount of suicides in the police force is stunning!). If you don't pass those tests, they should send you to do some paper work. Or something else useful, up to the moment where you can pass these tests again.

I mean, we should have some standards of who is gonna protect and serve us, should we not?

Mackmax

I don't think so. To micromanage a person to the point where they get fired if they're even a pound overweight is too harsh, in my opinion. I think it all comes down to wether or not you're in shape, and I've seen some fat folks completely outrun the skinny folks. Being overweight doesn't mean that you're not good at doing your job, and it doesn't mean you're necessarily unhealthy, either.

Kamarsun1

That's true, It should depend on the type of role they play. If I'm in the office all day then of course working out is not needed, but it should be encouraged. The need to be in shape is overall best for a persons personal life outside of work for the most part.

DancingLady

Hmm, that's a tough one. Because of the nature of the job, I do not think an officer should be allowed to continue in it if they are obese, as that would certainly compromise their ability to do the job properly should they encounter a situation where they need to move quickly.

I would not want to see super strict standards enforced that would cause officers to feel like they must control their bodies in order to keep their job, as that is a recipe for eating disorders, compulsive exercise, ect, in both men and women. But it would not be out of place to have a general guideline about health and fitness as pertains to being capable of doing the job and offering resources for nutrition education and fitness ideas and programs so that an officer who is gaining weight can be gently encouraged to make healthy choices that will benefit not only his job, but his life in general.

ebs77

Banned
I think everyone has the right to put on a few pounds but when it affects job performance it could become an issue. Maybe a few methods could be put into place to prevent this from happening.
A BMI test could be used to identify heavily overweight officers and a warning could be put into place. Another idea could be to have regular physical tests to asses officer's levels of fitness.