South Korean ferry captain sentenced to 36 years for ferry disaster

Patrick

With many dismayed parents crying for the death penalty, the captain of the ferry disaster escaped the gallows and was acquitted of his murder charge.

Although there were many other factors which worsened the disaster, it is undoubtable that his shameful actions were a major cause in this tragedy.

Do you think that the punishment meted out was appropriate?

Onionman

It's a difficult one. He was certainly negligent and it was a dereliction of duty, escaping the sinking ship. But I guess it's about how the law treats loss of life that isn't first degree murder. He was certainly guilty of something, particularly given the amount of people that died. But something that leads to a 36 year prison sentence? I'm not sure.

shilpa123

I do believe that the punishment given to him is quite right as many people do not think it is a first degree murder out there. Hence giving him a death penalty would be too much. But I do believe that the life imprisonment should have been even more better punishment. I do not think such people should be let out as they create even more harm.*

megankl

I also completely agree with the punishment given to him. He should have been helping those students off the cruise ship before being selfish and getting himself off. The fact that he didn't even put out an evacuation order is a little bit messed. I don't think he cared as much as someone with that job should. Just my personal opinion. I think he should of got the death penalty - I understand that may be a bit harsh but he is partly responsible for a mass amount of deaths, not even just one.

DancingLady

I think prison time is appropriate. He did not commit murder, in the sense that there was not an intent to kill, but he was negligent and therefore caused the accident.

GlacialDoom

I think the punishment is appropiate. Just because he was negligent doesn't mean we should kill him, but he should definitely be held responsible and punished for his actions. 36 years is a long time, and if he even gets out alive, he will be another man.

Determined2014

I think a sentence of 36 years in prison is worse than the death sentence, with the death sentence, you get to die and no longer suffer but with a 36 year sentence you sit in that prison with all that guilt every day it gets to haunt you, of how many people died or he killed while he was the captain that day.