Standard issue gun?

Profit5500

The most standard issue gun I have seen on most police officers has been the Glock 17 and 19. I have seen others with the M9 Beretta as standard. There are departments who issue the Sig Sauer P226 gun to officers. It all varies on the size and budget on the department on what is standard issue so you can ask a nearby police department.

GemmaRowlands

There isn't particularly a "standard" gun, it will depend on a number of things, including where your department is based, how much money they have at that present time, and where you're likely to be on patrol. There are some areas that would be in much greater need of a better gun than others. In some countries, police officers don't have to carry guns at all! I have always found that police officers are happy to chat and give advice, though, so if there is one specific area that you would like to work in then I am sure that they would be happy to answer your questions.

Profit5500

There isn't particularly a "standard" gun, it will depend on a number of things, including where your department is based, how much money they have at that present time, and where you're likely to be on patrol. There are some areas that would be in much greater need of a better gun than others. In some countries, police officers don't have to carry guns at all! I have always found that police officers are happy to chat and give advice, though, so if there is one specific area that you would like to work in then I am sure that they would be happy to answer your questions.
Assuming if those certain officers would be friendly enough to give advice to you. The officers where I live are nothing but jerks who can care less about talking to the public. If some officers would love to talk to you then go for it. Just learn what you can online from other folks.

Gelsemium

Good question here and interesting answers, I don't have experience with guns so I'd love to know if there are any particular problems a rookie experiences.