Standard issue

Profit5500

Is mace standard issue when you start working for the force? Wait, is it mace or pepper spray?

I would have to believe that the mace is standard. You cannot have it unless it is not part of the gear. The gun is the is the most lethal. I would look up other law enforcement gear by going online or asking police officers.

ally79

Yes, pepper spray and a taser are standard issue for police departments. They have to have non-lethal options on them to restrain suspects if needed. For the record, officers are not allowed to carry either of those unless they have had them used on themselves.

LitoLawless

Wow, that's interesting. I guess they have to know what it feels like in order to be allowed to use it on other people. Luckily, this is not the case with their guns.

Gelsemium

The police needs to be prepared with all sort of devices to control criminals, so yeah, I think that mace is one of those things that they always carry.

Stevie

Is mace standard issue when you start working for the force? Wait, is it mace or pepper spray?

To answer your initial question, yes, pepper spray is standard issue for all police officers. As a matter of fact, during the training period, officers are "Certified" to use the weapon. The certification process is: a lecture covering pepper spray ingredients, understanding when to utilize the weapon, and the different delivery systems the product is available in. Following the lecture, a test must be passed, ensuring understanding of all the information given. Then, the fun part. Every officer is sprayed with pepper spray, and must then complete a short course before being allowed to rinse the spray off. I was certified as a Corrections Officer, and let me tell you, it is NOT a pleasant experience. To answer your second question, Mace is a kind of pepper spray. Mace is actually a brand name, and originally the most common brand carried by law enforcement, leading to the use of the brand name to describe all pepper sprays. Trust me, all pepper sprays ARE NOT created equally. :)

Profit5500

Wow, that's interesting. I guess they have to know what it feels like in order to be allowed to use it on other people. Luckily, this is not the case with their guns.
Well with the gun that would be overkill LOL. You would have instructors get expelled for trying a gun on a person. The taser and the pepper spray would be more likely tested on you while at the academy.