State Troopers Save Baby From Fire

Onthemark

attachment.php

Two Michigan state troopers ran into a raging house fire to save an unconscious 2-year-old boy Thursday in north-central Michigan.

Authorities say troopers Jim Leonard and Rick Carlson, who arrived ahead of firefighters "held their breath and closed their eyes" after spotting through a window, a crib in the corner of the bedroom.

They pulled the crib out of a sliding glass door they had broken into and started CPR on the boy who had no pulse, according to State Police Sgt. Jeff Gorno.

"They hooked onto each other; one held onto the other's belt," Gorno said, and they saved the boy.

Sgt. Jeff Gorno said the boy is in stable condition a treated for the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning, he's expected to be fine.

The 18-year-old babysitter and boy's 7-year-old sister ran out of the house after waking up in the living room of the burning home. The 7-year-old girl suffered second-degree burns. It wasn't immediately clear if the babysitter was injured.

The troopers weren't injured from the incident. "This is why we put the uniform on every day," said Sgt. Jeff Gorno.

Attachments

• LeonardandCarlson.jpg
    LeonardandCarlson.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,933
Last edited by a moderator:

jeremy2

That was real brave.I salute those officers who put their lives on the line just to save an innocent kid.It requires a rare kind of bravado to do what those officers did.My hat goes off to them.Much respect.

Gelsemium

I agree, saving someone's life is something we will never forget, these are the good parts of being a police officer. A two year old, no one was able to save him, did the baby-sitter tried?

RingoBerry

The internet is filled with stories with so many negative remarks on police officers, I do hope that stories like this make them realize that there are so many out there, putting on their uniform everyday and would literally throw themselves into burning houses just to safe a life just like these two men did.

Onionman

It's great to have a good news story here for a change. There's a lot of negativity going around about the role of the police, but this just shows how important they are in doing things that a lot of us wouldn't.

westmixxin

I really enjoy hearing good things about ah cop for once it crazy that the majority of the stories I hear now days are so negative when they concern the police.

May102014

Well, because of them, my negative perception of the policemen is now somewhat changed into something positive. They should be rewarded for doing brave things like this because they saved lives and there are only a few of them who would do the same thing as they did. They represent their profession very well and they deserve to be named as heroes.

Strykstar

Very nice showing from the officers there, hopefully the babysitter was the one to inform them of the baby's presence inside the house.

katherine25

Good for them for doing such a heroic act! Its people like this that make the world a better place and we should be thankful for people like this. When everyone is running away from the fire they are running into it and I'm grateful for it.