Stun grenade

jeremy2

Under which circumstance are cops allowed to use stun grenades especially if in a hostage situation and there is the likelihood of fatalities assuming the location is in a residential area?

januz101

Usage of stun grenades are limited and can only be used if the suspect is armed and dangerous and there is imminent danger in the crisis situation. Fatalities are to be expected if the attacker is aggressive and started randomly attacking hostages. Police assault teams job is to neutralize threats with minimal casualties.

timelord731

Well, here's the issues with grenades, they go everywhere. That means that they could harm any or all potential bystanders with the blast. A huge liability.

JoanMcWench

I'd like to know what the rules are with that as well. I know it's often used for crowd control but I've also seen that it used in hostage scenarios so perhaps that means that if the situation is critical & it's either they may die or the use the stun grenade perhaps that's how they choose.

DancingLady

I have never hear of a stun grenade. Could someone please explain this to me?

It sounds like a potentially very dangerous and unpredictable weapon. While stunning someone is certainly far less likely to kill them than shooting them, how can there me much of any accuracy with a grenade?

JoanMcWench

Sure, here's a Wikipedia definition:

A stun grenade, also known as a flash grenade or flashbang, is a non-lethal explosive device used to temporarily disorient an enemy's senses. It is designed to produce a blinding flash of light and intensely loud noise "bang" of greater than 170 decibels (dB)[SUP][1][/SUP] without causing permanent injury. It was first developed by the British Army's SAS in the 1960s.[SUP][2][/SUP]
The flash produced momentarily activates all photoreceptor cells in the eye, making vision impossible for approximately five seconds, until the eye restores itself to its normal, unstimulated state. The loud blast is meant to cause temporary loss of hearing, and also disturbs the fluid in the ear, causing loss of balance.
The concussive blast of the detonation can still injure, and the heat created can ignite flammable materials such as fuel. The fires that occurred during the Iranian Embassy siege in London were caused by stun grenades.

Patrick

Flashbangs have been used in no-knock warrants before, injuring young children who were unfortunately nearby. I think that more stricter regulations need to be enforced on its use.