Teen Who Tried To Jump From One Building To Another "Movie Style" Dies

Rainman

A 17 year old boy who was running away from police thought he could jump 10 feet from the roof of one building to the other to escape arrest.
Kuta and another boy, 14, had been running from police after officers confronted them and several other people while responding to a call of kids smoking marijuana in an apartment building lobby.
fell onto the pavement between two buildings on Valentine Avenue in Bedford Park a little after 7:30 p.m. Thursday, police said. He was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital in critical condition. He died at 10:48 a.m. Saturday, police said.

Teen Dies After 6-Story Fall From Bronx Rooftop: Police | NBC New York

A lot of good [his stupid escape] attempt did him.

Gabe

People really think these escapes on Mission Impossible and the Bourne series work. I know on some cartoons they have a disclaimer to stop people attempting what they see, but do they really need to do this?

The boys were very silly smoking in public and being underage, but at least the police grabbed the younger one. I doubt he will ever do this again.

missbishi

What a silly thing to do. He must have really believed he was capable of making the jump to have attempted it. The sad thing is, it was just teenagers smoking marijuana and the punishment that would have been meted out would have been minimal. Certainly not worth killing yourself to avoid.

JoanMcWench

The worst part is he felt like he needed to run because of something so ridiculously stupid as marijuana. That's the worst part of this story. Of course a high teenager would think he could jump from building to another. That's not really the surprise. Why had the cop found it necessary to chase them down in a dangerous area like a roof?

calicer1996

10 feet?!! What on earth was that kid thinking! There probably is something big behind this. Who would attempt such a stunt for such minor offences?

Gabe

The worst part is he felt like he needed to run because of something so ridiculously stupid as marijuana. That's the worst part of this story. Of course a high teenager would think he could jump from building to another. That's not really the surprise. Why had the cop found it necessary to chase them down in a dangerous area like a roof?

The police have to chase them wherever they go, they can't think 'oh it's a roof we won't go there because it's dangerous.' Those boys chose to go and they chose to jump. The older one knew what he was doing and taking a chance and being high probably didn't help. These things do happen, and maybe parents need to take more responsibility for their children.

jeremy2

I this its quite unfortunate that a life was lost needlessly due to some stupid stunt. We are always being told not to ape what we see in movies as it could be dangerous. I hope someone lear0nt from this tragedy and won't repeat the same mistake.